× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not secure

Joplinfmz
Aspirant

Not secure

Hi everyone, I have a Netgear R6350. I have a wireless outdoor security camera. They have a new app for the camera but when I try to connect the camera to the new app on my cell, it always says that it either timed out or connection failed. I contacted the security camera company and gave them access to my computer. They told me that the app won't work because the router page is "Not secure" and wanted a few hundred to fix it. I have a strong password, checked settings and they are set as suggested. Firmware is up to date V1.1.0.88_1.0.1. OS is windows 10. Is there a way to make it secure? I would rather not have to buy a new camera. Thanks for your replies and help.

Gus

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'm betting you got a scam site if they were willing to fix it for a few hundred dollars. We see that quite a bit on here. 

What actual camera do you have? 

Is it working/connected? 

When you're setting up the app, is your phone connected to the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz?

Any special characters/spaces in the ssid/password of your router? If so, remove them as I've seen some IoT devices that have issues with those. 

Did you try factory resetting the camera and reconnecting it? 

Message 2 of 7
Joplinfmz
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have a soliom S60 camera. My phone is connected to 2.4ghz. Router firmware is up to date. No special characters or spaces in password. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the older app and the newer app a number of times. The older app will only connect if my phone is set to 5ghz. The instructions say not to use 5G. I have tried the new app with both 2.4 and 5G. Nothing seems to work. Times out every time. I guess it is just a problem with the apps. I was on the soliom site and had a live chat who then called me and said the problem is the "NOT Secure" router setting. When he told me it would cost a few hundred and he could fix it, I told him No Thanks. Guess I will get another camera and make life a little easier. I appreciate your help. 

If you don't mind I have 1 more question. I see 7 messages in the logs like this. ([DoS attack: ACK Scan] from source: 52.218.108.56:443 Monday, June 20,2022 14:04:36)

Is this something to worry about? I am using a vpn, Avast antivirus, and Super antispyware.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

a couple things. 

1. when you're doing the setup, make sure to disable your vpn. 

2. the log notices aren't an issue. Netgear is notorious for false positives in the logs. You can search the forums if you'd like 

Message 4 of 7
Joplinfmz
Aspirant

Thank you for all of your advice Guru. I have tried everything and unfortunately nothing seems to work. I will be looking for a new camera. Thanks again. Have a great week.

Message 5 of 7
janetwilson
Tutor

This suggests the internet web page isn't always presenting a stable connection to visitors. When your browser connects to a website, it could both use the stable HTTPS or the insecure HTTP protocol. If a site's URL starts of evolved with HTTP, it approach the relationship is insecure, which triggers the “Not Secure” warning.

Message 6 of 7
Joplinfmz
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply janetwilson. Is there a way to to change it to https?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7