Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI AX4200 to ISP Fiber optic modem or router

Datwyl01
Aspirant

ORBI AX4200 to ISP Fiber optic modem or router

I have fiber running into my home and am using the ISP FO modem (Alcatel-Lucent) connected to the ISP provided modem (ZYXEL XMG3512). My TV service also runs through this modem (via a ZYXEL HLA3000).
I recently installed the ORBI AX4200 and connected it to the modem as instructed. In the process, I decided to organize my network closet and damaged the FO cable to the modem. The ISP tech came and repaired the FO but rerouted the ORBI through the ISP router. The tech said not to connect the ORBI to the modem because it will mess things up - he didn’t elaborate. He also said the ISP router is required since everything is running through it - including my HD TV and internet.
Any thoughts or concerns? Should I go ahead and connect the ORBI back to the modem or leave it connected to the ISP router? Does it matter?
Not really having any issues connected to the router as far as I can tell, but am I losing any benefits with the current setup?
Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 9
Datwyl01
Aspirant

Re: ORBI AX4200 to ISP Fiber optic modem or router

I have reposted this 3x now with zero response from the community. Does ANYONE have any idea about this issue?
Message 2 of 9

@Datwyl01 wrote:
I have reposted this 3x now with zero response from the community. Does ANYONE have any idea about this issue?

It helps to post in the right place. You won't find many Orbi users here.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk). (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but Orbi systems are not like standard routers, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

SInce your ISP said the ISP router is required, I would try option #2 or #3...

Message 4 of 9
Datwyl01
Aspirant

@michaelkenward

Thank you for your response and guidance. Yes the community is difficult to navigate.
Message 5 of 9
Datwyl01
Aspirant

@FURRYe38

Slightly confused. I understand the 3 options you suggested. I’m confused about your first sentence, “ Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi.”

The ISP supplied 3 pieces of equipment: (1) The fiber optic modem (Alcatel-Lucent 3FE51880AK I-240G-C ); (2) the ISP provided router (ZYXEL XMG3512). I mistakenly called this a modem in the original post. And (3) ZYXEL HLA3000 for the TV service connected to the router.

Are we still talking Double NAT?

I plan to call the ISP tech support to verify the info told to me by the service tech

Anything else I should ask?
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes if the tech connected the RBR to the ISP provided router (ZYXEL XMG3512), this is double NAT. One of the options mentioned will help with this. 

Message 7 of 9

@FURRYe38 has already listed your main options.

But your list of devices is puzzling to me at least. Take this:

(2) the ISP provided router (ZYXEL XMG3512). I mistakenly called this a modem in the original post.

I suspect that @FURRYe38 did the same as I did – ask Google about the ZYXEL XMG3512. The link I found describes this as a " VDSL2 Bonding/SFP Multi WAN Gateway". If so it is a  modem. The gateway word is sometimes used interchangeably with modem, although some prefer to reserve the gateway word for a modem that also support a telephone.

This then leaves me puzzled about this bit:

The ISP supplied 3 pieces of equipment: (1) The fiber optic modem (Alcatel-Lucent 3FE51880AK I-240G-C )

Google is less helpful there. So your network is a mystery. What does this fiber optic modem do?

If the Alcatel-Lucent is a modem, then you have two modems strung together. Optical followed by bonded DSL. Which is kind of strange and not something I have ever seen talked about here.

You also said earlier:

He also said the ISP router is required since everything is running through it - including my HD TV and internet.

To me this does not suggest that you must use this ISP router, simply that he set thing up like that. Done properly, you might not need it but you'll have to configure everything carefully.

Then again, we are left with this puzzling chain of modems.

There's another small fly in the ointment. Your first message said you are trying to configure an ORBI AX4200. That could be one of a few things. AX4200 tells us about the wifi technology, not the model number of the device. That is probably the RBK752 or the RBK753.

In an ideal world, you would ditch the ZYXEL XMG3512 and connect your ORBI to the Alcatel-Lucent "modem". The plug everything into the LAN ports on the Orbi devices.

@FURRYe38 is better than I am at unravelling these conundrums. So they may have more useful suggestions, but I would certainly like to now what this Alcatel-Lucent is doing.

It  might help to say what sort of Internet do you have? DSL? (That is what the ZYXEL XMG3512 works with.) Cable? Or optical fibre? (Fibre alone is a meaningless label that ISPs use to describe just about ever type of Internet because they all have fibre somewhere in the chain.)

The ZYXEL HLA3000 seems to be something that you can plug into any Ethernet socket with an Internet connection.

Now, perhaps, you can see why people did not rush to answer your first message.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@FURRYe38 has already listed your main options.

But your list of devices is puzzling to me at least. Take this:

(2) the ISP provided router (ZYXEL XMG3512). I mistakenly called this a modem in the original post.

I suspect that @FURRYe38 did the same as I did – ask Google about the ZYXEL XMG3512. The link I found describes this as a " VDSL2 Bonding/SFP Multi WAN Gateway". If so it is a  modem.

There is indeed a two-wire modem for up to VDSL2+ - however there is also an SFP WAN cage can take GPON, Active-fiber, or GFast module, and/or a Gigabit Ethernet WAN port (I guess this is in use between the Fiber OSP and the router ... that's why it appears to work when plugging the Orbi WAN/Internet port there.

@Datwyl01 wrote:

The problem is the non-existing crystall ball on how the Fiber OSP and the ISP router is configured when it comes to the triple-play services.

The point to start with an attempt to "unbundle" boxes would be talking to your undefined ISP, or to a ISP community where people already have taken the plunge to reverse-engineer (or get the information from the ISP) - being for VLAN(s) involved, IGMP Multicast for live TV, ISP/carrier supported TR-069/181 based monitoring and support (certainly not available on the Orbi), on merging IPTV and Internet into one LAN allowing to have the IPTV Set-top-box (capable for other features probable, like Netflix et all, DLNA media access) and the other systems on your [W]LAN on one network and IP subnet (something Orbi can't again) ...

Should the Fiber be some kind of shared fiber like GPON, there is even more complexity, as laser colours and encryption authentication does typically add a hurdle you can't overcome, even if you would own business class router with SFP/SFP+/SFP28 WAN interface(s).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7