× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Old Router - Wired 400 mbps - WiFi 40 mbps no idea what I’m doing

Roundlikepi
Tutor

Old Router - Wired 400 mbps - WiFi 40 mbps no idea what I’m doing

Hi! My wired net is 400 mbps, my WiFi turns it into 40 mbps. I’ve googled stuff on how to fix it but I honestly have no idea what I’m doing. Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me in a direction that isn’t spending money on buying a new router?

Thanks!!
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. the WNR2000 isn't gigabit capable. It only has fast ethernet (10/100mbps). Its a very base model N300 device. 

2. 2.4ghz is a slow network. hitting 40mbps on it is about what you can expect from that band on that router. 

3. If you have 400mbps, I'd look at upgrading your router. Your router right now is the bottleneck in your system. 

You have an older, slow, n300 router without much capability. If you're paying for 400mbps, its time to upgrade to a dual band, gigabit device. I'd look at some of the newer AX routers with that speed capability. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what actual router do you currently have? 

Are you testing on 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

what device are you using to test on? (model)

Message 2 of 5
Roundlikepi
Tutor

This information probably would have helped.

WNR2000v5 - gosh I hope this is the model

I have no idea how to tell what im testing but I think someone once said something like 2.4.

I’ve speed tested on my HP desktop, laptop, Dell work laptop, and my iPhone 7.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. the WNR2000 isn't gigabit capable. It only has fast ethernet (10/100mbps). Its a very base model N300 device. 

2. 2.4ghz is a slow network. hitting 40mbps on it is about what you can expect from that band on that router. 

3. If you have 400mbps, I'd look at upgrading your router. Your router right now is the bottleneck in your system. 

You have an older, slow, n300 router without much capability. If you're paying for 400mbps, its time to upgrade to a dual band, gigabit device. I'd look at some of the newer AX routers with that speed capability. 

Message 4 of 5
Roundlikepi
Tutor

Thank you so much for explaining this. I really appreciate your help!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7