× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Old routers not good for fiber lines, draws speed down says norwegian expert !

Gogger
Follower

Old routers not good for fiber lines, draws speed down says norwegian expert !

RangeMax Next Wireless Router Gigabit Edition (WNR854T) Purchased: 2008-01-25 That this router is bad for fiberlines i dont understand. The speeds are 1 gb ports and 5g wifi. What are the speed for the wan port, is it this port which is the problem. I have used this router for many years and i havent notice any speed problem. Can someone explain for me what is the problem today on fiberlines. Why is it to slow or what is the routers that have faster performence have today ? Which not this have.
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Old routers not good for fiber lines, draws speed down says norwegian expert !

Even though it was gigabit, when it was first released, many of those older devices couldn't saturate gigabit (or even get close).

Even some newer routers, if they were using anything that had to do packet inspection like QoS, access control, parental controls, traffic montoring, didn't have the CPU power to hit gigabit speeds while still saturating the line. 

so while it pains me to say it, your "expert" is indeed correct, that router is slowing your connection. 

Try updating to something from the current generation. I'd also steer clear of the base model devices. 

when you're running full gigabit speeds, you need a router with more CPU capability than just a base model device. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Old routers not good for fiber lines, draws speed down says norwegian expert !

Even though it was gigabit, when it was first released, many of those older devices couldn't saturate gigabit (or even get close).

Even some newer routers, if they were using anything that had to do packet inspection like QoS, access control, parental controls, traffic montoring, didn't have the CPU power to hit gigabit speeds while still saturating the line. 

so while it pains me to say it, your "expert" is indeed correct, that router is slowing your connection. 

Try updating to something from the current generation. I'd also steer clear of the base model devices. 

when you're running full gigabit speeds, you need a router with more CPU capability than just a base model device. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7