× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Only one HDD recognized by Readyshare in a 4 slots HDD docking station

nick_tru
Aspirant

Only one HDD recognized by Readyshare in a 4 slots HDD docking station

I have a 4 slots HDD docking station and installed 2 HDD. Each HDD has 2 partitions. It works fine while connect to a laptop. All 4 partitions can be accessed.

But when I connect the docking station to R6300, ReadyShare detects 2 partitions of 1 HDD only. I try to remove the HDD detected, the other one can be detected eventually.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
VE6CGX
Master

That is not a NAS which has it's own OS. That is attached USB device to router. If you want NAS, buy a real one like Synology, QNAP, etc. The multi bay enclosure has  compability problem. In the past I played with them like you and finally I realized, real NAS is the way to go. I have a 4 bay Synology NAS which does everything I want. Even if the USB attached drives work, they are slow, unstable at best.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
William10a
Master

You just found the one of the limits that usb port of he router has one drive to one usb port the readyshare and router form a very poor nas server.

Message 2 of 6

@nick_tru wrote:
But when I connect the docking station to R6300, ReadyShare detects 2 partitions of 1 HDD only.

ReadyShare is not designed to work with docking stations.

Message 3 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

That is not a NAS which has it's own OS. That is attached USB device to router. If you want NAS, buy a real one like Synology, QNAP, etc. The multi bay enclosure has  compability problem. In the past I played with them like you and finally I realized, real NAS is the way to go. I have a 4 bay Synology NAS which does everything I want. Even if the USB attached drives work, they are slow, unstable at best.

Message 4 of 6

@VE6CGX wrote:

Even if the USB attached drives work, they are slow, unstable at best.

And you have to be careful to unplug USB devices correctly if you want to avoid data corruption.

Message 5 of 6
nick_tru
Aspirant

Thx a lot. I just want to share my spare portable HDD.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7