× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OpenVPN-Connect connects to VPN but No IP Address Assigned

atestani
Aspirant

OpenVPN-Connect connects to VPN but No IP Address Assigned

I have enabled a VPN on my R9000 whiuch is at the latest firmware level (V1.0.5.36).  I am using the OpenVPN Connect  V3 on client machines .  Note "Open VPN Connect"  is not the basic openVPN download which includes the GUI, etc..  It is  the current incarnation  of the old OpenVPN Client .  I changed client.ovpn to use TUN and UDP on 12000 (OpenVPN Connect does not accept TAP profiles even though their adapter is called TAP-Windows Adapter V9 for OpenVPN).  All machines on the netwrok are Windows 10

The problem I have is that a client machine can connect to the VPN but the client is not given an IP address on the LAN.  

If I look at ipconfig for the TAP-TUN adapter I see this:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9 for OpenVPN Connect
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-39-7B-70-55
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c7e:50c4:f553:7d55%5(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.2(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234946361
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-56-AF-1C-E8-6A-64-26-B3-81
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.167.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

DHCP is disabled yet my gateway/DNS  address is known.    I can ping 192.168.167.1 but no other machine on the network.  I would expect that the OVPN file the R2000 generated would include the appropriate command to provide an IP address from its local pool but it does not.  I have been searching but am not able to figure out how to have my client get an IP address on the LAN I am VPN'ing into.

Any ideas?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
atestani
Aspirant

Re: OpenVPN-Connect connects to VPN but No IP Address Assigned

More on this...

I have continued looking for how to do this and have now many spent hours on it.  I have been reading ovenVPN manuals and "how to's" and cannot find what I would think is simple imformation.  I even tried looking at some of the "ovpn generator tooIs" but none generate more than a basic ovpn file (which I have working except for this IP address issue). I believe I can get this to work if either:

1) I had access to the R9000 generated VPN server config file

-or-

2) knew what directives to put in client.ovpn file  (preferred) 

There many posts about how to get a static IP assigned to a client which would be fine in this case, but I cannot get any of them to work.

Any help on this wluld be very welcome.  Thanks!

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7