× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OpenVPN with iOS

Retired_Member
Not applicable

OpenVPN with iOS

Brief history: I upgraded to Cox Gigablast and they included a Netgear R6300v2.  I had a VPN on my previous router (ASUS Dark Knight) that I used for conneting securely in places that aren't secure.  Coffee shops, airports, etc.  

Trying to setup the is OpenVPN vpn on the router and I have it all setup with a DynamicDNS service and everything.  Downloaded Certs and OVPN file and imported into iPhone.  Open up the OpenVPN app and import in the profile.  It gives the following error: "iOS doesn't support TAP-based tunnels"  

In doing research, apparently I have to setup a TUN based vpn so that it will work with IOS.  Is there a way for me to switch this vpn tunnel to a TUN based type?  I can't seem to find a setting for that.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
storm1985
Prodigy

It doesnt support OpenVPN for iOS or Android. You should see the highlighted options below if R6300v2 does support Smartphones. 

R7000_OpenVPN.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

Are you using a NETGEAR firmware? I dont think R6300v2 has openVPN feature.

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It does.  Under advanced tab, advanced setup.  You have to setup a DynamicDNS obviously and then turn on the VPN option.  Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 1.27.56 PM.png

Message 3 of 6
storm1985
Prodigy

FW 1.0.3.30?

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry forgot to include that.  Yes I'm at V1.0.3.30_10.0.73

Message 5 of 6
storm1985
Prodigy

It doesnt support OpenVPN for iOS or Android. You should see the highlighted options below if R6300v2 does support Smartphones. 

R7000_OpenVPN.jpg

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7