× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX6000 using Satellite with wired connection - Slower than Wifi connection?

Puch96
Guide

Orbi AX6000 using Satellite with wired connection - Slower than Wifi connection?

Hello.

I had a quick question.

I connected ethernet cable to the satellite Orbi unit RBS850, and conencted ethernet to laptop.

I did notice that when running speed test with laptop connected via ethernet to satellite, the download speeds were lower than when using wifi conenction to satellite.

Has anyone experienced this?  How is it that wired ethernet from satellite is slower than Wifi connection to satellite from my laptop?

Message 1 of 6
Zablalbaz
Star

Re: Orbi AX6000 using Satellite with wired connection - Slower than Wifi connection?

Hey,

I am experiencing something similar with my RBR50 mesh system, and I posted my experience so far at the following url in this forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Orbi-RBR50-wired-speed-to-Internet-stuck-a...

I am seeing the same thing - fast wireless speed but slow wired speed - 100mbit/sec. For me, this is new behavior. I was previously getting close to Gigabit speeds over the Internet with my Fiber connection.

I am waiting for a usb-c to ethernet dongle to arrive so I can continue my debug as my laptop uses a thunderbolt dock for ethernet and has no nic port. So I have not been able to plug directly into the ethernet ports of either of my Orbi routers. But I suspect that I either have a bad port on one of my netgear switches, or the slow down is occuring on the ethernet bridge of the main Orbi router. I am really hoping this is due to a bad port on a switch or a cable somewhere. Not sure what I am going to do if I find the slow down is on the Orbi ethernet bridge itself. As soon as my dongle gets here, I'll try plugging directly into the ethernet port of the main router and see what speeds I get on my LAN and over the Internet.

Just curious - Have you tried taking the Internet out of the equation and testing the wired speed on your local network between two wired clients that are connected to your router? If so, are you getting Gigabit speeds locally? If you are only getting 100mbit locally, that would indicate a problem with the ethernet bridge on your router. 

Good luck! I'll update my own post once I have more data to share.

Message 2 of 6
Puch96
Guide

I did some further testing last night and conencted ethernet wire directly to RBR850 (router).  

I have a desktop PC connected also with ethernet to router.  

Funny enough, desktop PC gives me full speed (about 1Gbps, but my laptop hardwired caps out at about 100Mbps)...

So i suspect laptop ethernet adapter hardware limitation,.

Strange. I will try to test with other devices connected via ethernet to router and satellite to see if I can conclude issue with laptop ethernet adaptor...

Message 3 of 6
Zablalbaz
Star

Not sure what OS you are running. With Linux you can check the connected rate of your device with the ethtool command. 

for example:

ethtool eth0 | grep -i speed

I'm not sure what the equivalent is for windows. Maybe you can see the connection speed in device manager?

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

you might get better results in the actual orbi ax forum 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 5 of 6
Zablalbaz
Star

Thanks Plemans! I couldn't find the Orbi specific forum. I just thought it was removed and all we had left was "Nighthawk" and "Non-Nighthawk" forums. I'll bookmark it!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7