× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 Bandwidth control and AP/Router mode

kev160967
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 Bandwidth control and AP/Router mode

Recently installed a 3 node RBR20 system and started migrating from my previous system, a Draytek router and access point. Generally been a good experience, but one aspect that is killing things is the lack of bandwidth management. On the Draytek system I was able to specify a per-client bandwidth cap across the connected clients so that no one client could hog the available bandwidth. I don't seem to be able to do this on the Orbi. I still have the draytek router with my wired clients attached to it, but now everything attached to the Orbi comes through as a single connection for the purposes of bandwidth management. I've read through the forums and it seems like Netgear has no immediate plans to add support for this. I'm wondering if I'd be better switching the Orbi from router mode to AP mode? I think if I do this then all the wireless clients would once again appear as individual connections on the draytek router, just as they do when connecting via the old Draytek AP? Would I lose out on anything by doing this though? For example, will the Orbi's mesh coverage still work the same way, etc? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Kevin

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7