× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR30 exhibits 30+% speed loss over direct Ethernet connection from Arris modem

Orbi RBR30 exhibits 30+% speed loss over direct Ethernet connection from Arris modem

I've had my Netgear system for several years and it appears that the internet speed is getting slower and slower. My normal download is 19Mb/s, upload 2.9 Mb/s via the RBR30 base station located about 10 feet from my Mac Mini (OS 10.15.7). When I connect the Mini directly to my Arris TM3402A modem via an Ethernet  cable the speed increases to 28 Mb/s and 3 Mb/s, which is what my ISP promises. The Netgear connection is displayed as Channel : 48 (5 GHz , 40 MHz). The RBR30 Firmware is 2.7.2.104 (currently the latestest version). Any suggestions on what I can do to increase the speed?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR30 exhibits 30+% speed loss over direct Ethernet connection from Arris modem

Is your mac mini directly connected to the router? 

Or are you testing over wifi? 

It shouldn't have any issues maxing out that speed. 

what speedtest site are you using? 

have you tried other devices? 

Message 2 of 9

Thanks so much for the fast reply! When I tested with an Ethernet cable iI did connect it directly from the back of the Arris Router (the port that was previously connected to the RBR30) to the Ethernet port on the Mac Mini. The WiFi connected was the standard connection using the interna; Mac WiFi receiver. So, yes, it was a direct connection from Router to Mac Mini. I used two apps to measure speed with similar results: Speedtest.net and flash.com and can use others if desired. I also just checked my wife's iMac which is connected, via WiFi, to one of the satellite RBS50s and the speed measured with fast.com was 28 Mb/s and 3 Mb/s! Her iMac is located elsewhere in the house on a different floor.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

So her mac does fine? 

Its just yours with issues? 

Message 4 of 9

Oh Lordy! Your second question prompted me to bring my old  2012 MacBook Pro (MBP) and place next to the Mac mini. Running fast.com with the MBP 2-feet away from the Mac Mini indicated a WiFi speed of 28 Mb/s and 3 Mb/s. In other words, the MBP was much faster than the Mac mini using the Netgear Router.Smiley Frustrated

I have no indications of any problems with my Mac mini. Since it works properly in all other respects I guess I'll have to live with the slow WiFi speed.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

What wireless card is in the mac mini? 

Is it on the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz? 

Maybe the card in it is sketchy. MIght be worth seeing if theres a compatible usb wirelss adapter you could try. 

Message 6 of 9

I've taken the libery of attaching a screen shot of the internal WiFi card and, according to the information visible when I [Option][Click] on the WiFi status "fan" in the menu bar, it's working at 5GHz, 40 MHz. I don't know the significance of the 40 MHz number.

Any possibility of buying a replacement internal card? I've alreaduy installed a replacem3nt SSD and replaced the cooling fan in the Mini. So I should be able to replace the internal Airport Extreme card.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

I'm not going to lie. I'm not a mac guy. windows and a bit of linux is about all i got. 🙂

I'm sure you can replace the card but not saying that'll make a difference as it could be something else. 

But if all your other devices run fine and its just the one device, then I'd be looking at that device. 

Message 8 of 9

Wow! let me express my appreciation of your willing to ventuing into the land of Macintosh. I checked the youtube video on the steps required to replace the Mac mini Airport card. It appears to be far, far more involved that the previous surgeries on done on the Mini. One has to end up removing the Airport cirboad from the Mini mother board. Since the Mini is working farily well I think I'll follow the old engineering advice: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! The isn't isn't really broke, just sota ailing!

Thank you so much for taking the time and interest to trying to resolve this mystery.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7