Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 Disappeared from my network last night during a storm, still can't be seen

mojemimi88
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 Disappeared from my network last night during a storm, still can't be seen

Last night there was a loud thunder clap and my home network shut down.  I assumed it was the internet connection having gone out from a lightning strike and went to bed.  This morning my internet is fineif I connect via ethernet to my modem, but my Orbi network doesn't show, and an ethernet cable from the Orbi also isn't functioning.  I have unplugged, turned off and on, etc, but it isn't showing.  Light on back is flashing green so it has power.  I pushed the reset but that didn't seem to do anything.

It's 2 years old so Netgear is no help directly.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 Disappeared from my network last night during a storm, still can't be seen

Lightening is great at wrecking electronics. Sadly.

When you reset, did you push and hold it for 7-15 seconds while it was powered on?

Also, try replacing the cable you're connecting to the orbi. 

You could even try a 30/30/30 reset. (hold reset for 30 seconds while on, power it off while holding reset for 30 more, power it back on while still holding reset)

your other options are trying tftp/nmrpflash. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 12
mojemimi88
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 Disappeared from my network last night during a storm, still can't be seen

Thanks, I'll try that. My first thought was the lightning, but no other devices upstream or downstream were affected (modem, tv connected to Ethernet from the Orbi), the Orbi was plugged into a surge protector, and the power light never went off. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Message 3 of 12
mojemimi88
Aspirant

I seem to be doing something wrong at the start.  I attempted to download the RB40 firmware on the Netgear page using this link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr40.aspx#RBR40%20Firmware%20Version%202.6.1.36

That seems my only option to store the firmware, but perhaps I am missing something since that is actually an update.........

I have downloaded it 3 times and when I click to open, I get an error saying the disc image file is corruped

Not sure how to get beyond this to even see if the TFTP fix will work.....

Assuming someone can tell me what I am doing wrong (I am just right clicking on the file and hit open), for the next step where I connect the router to my pc am I doing that via an ethernet cable?  And if so, will I need internet connectivity to complete the process?  My computer only has 1 ethernet port is why I am asking.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

when you download it, right click on it and extract it.
Yes, you'll need to be hardwired into the device to use tftp/nmrpflash. But you won't need a internet connection. Try watching the video I linked to as it demonstrates how to do it on an extender
Message 5 of 12
antinode
Guru

> That seems my only option to store the firmware, but perhaps I am
> missing something since that is actually an update.........

Perhaps you're not reading the instructions.

> I have downloaded it 3 times and when I click to open, I get an error
> saying the disc image file is corruped

Where in the instructions did it tell you to "open" the firmware
image file that way?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1721037#M124018

> Not sure how to get beyond this to even see if the TFTP fix will
> work.....

You might try reading and following the instructions.

> Assuming someone can tell me what I am doing wrong (I am just right
> clicking on the file and hit open), [...]

That's what you're doing wrong.  That is, not following the
instructions.

> [...] for the next step where I connect the router to my pc am I doing
> that via an ethernet cable?

Yes.

> [...] And if so, will I need internet connectivity to complete the
> process? [...]

No.  After you've fetched the firmware kit, you have no more need for
Internet access.

Message 6 of 12
mojemimi88
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to respond, but I do take a little umbrage in your admonishment about not following the directions.  If anything I was following the directions too closely.  The directions I received said to download and then extract the file from the zip folder.  They said nothing about how to do that which is why I did the right click and open route as that was the only thing that made sense since double clicking on the file gave me the same error.  The other options were cut, copy, delete and properties.  That is why I asked.  Now I am assuming, contrary to what the directions said, that the file isn't zipped therefore the error.  But again, I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Message 7 of 12
mojemimi88
Aspirant

Sorry to bother you again, but I am having an issue with the file.  I keep getting a can't read error.  I have attached a screenshot with the file properties, my IP settings and the DOS error messages.   After the first rejection, I erased the 1kb 2nd file that was part of the unzipped folder so it seems there is only one file there.  I have tried myriad other adjustments but get the same access error.  I have the correct address for the file (I took it directly from the properties folder) so I am unsure what I have wrong.  Would you mind taking a look and see if anything stands out?  It's been 40 years since I was programming in DOS and Fortran, lol, so while I remember how persnickity these things can be, I am not confident  I am seeing things correctly.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 12
mojemimi88
Aspirant

Sorry to bother you again, but I am having an issue with the file.  I keep getting a can't read error.  I have attached a screenshot with the file properties, my IP settings and the DOS error messages.   After the first rejection, I erased the 1kb 2nd file that was part of the unzipped folder so it seems there is only one file there.  I have tried myriad other adjustments but get the same access error.  I have the correct address for the file (I took it directly from the properties folder) so I am unsure what I have wrong.  Would you mind taking a look and see if anything stands out?  It's been 40 years since I was programming in DOS and Fortran, lol, so while I remember how persnickity these things can be, I am not confident  I am seeing things correctly.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] I do take a little umbrage in your admonishment about not
> following the directions. [...]

That could be fair.  Netgear isn't especially explicit about how to
extract the guts of the downloaded zip archive.  On Windows, right-click
and select "Extract all..." to extract the files from the zip archive.

Watch where they go, because you'll need to find the ".chk" or ".img"
file later.  Also possibly interesting:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

> [...] Now I am assuming, contrary to what the directions said, that
> the file isn't zipped therefore the error. [...]

Nah, what you download is a zip archive, and you seem to have
extracted the ".img" file from it (one way or another).  That "3434041
bytes" size in its Properties is right.  And it seems to be on your
Desktop, where the Command Prompt windows seems to be looking.

Just to make sure, you might try this command, too:

dir RBR40-V2.6.1.36.img

I don't do much on Windows, so I know nothing, but someone (Windows?
Your anti-virus/malware software?) might be "helping" you too much.
That "Security" note at the bottom of that Properties report looks like
a potential roadblock.  I'd try checking the "Unblock" box, and see if
that breaks it loose.  Otherwise, the IPv4 stuff looks good, too.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@mojemimi88 wrote:

I seem to be doing something wrong at the start.  I attempted to download the RB40 firmware on the Netgear page using this link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr40.aspx#RBR40%20Firmware%20Version%202.6.1.36

That seems my only option to store the firmware, but perhaps I am missing something since that is actually an update.........

I have downloaded it 3 times and when I click to open, I get an error saying the disc image file is corruped

Not sure how to get beyond this to even see if the TFTP fix will work.....

Assuming someone can tell me what I am doing wrong (I am just right clicking on the file and hit open), for the next step where I connect the router to my pc am I doing that via an ethernet cable?  And if so, will I need internet connectivity to complete the process?  My computer only has 1 ethernet port is why I am asking.

Thanks again.

Message 11 of 12
mojemimi88
Aspirant

No, I still can't get the firmware to flash onto the Orbi.  I have tried several things like rebooting my computer after unchecking and rechecking the activation of TFTP in windows, several downloads of the firmware update to my computer with deletions and rebooting to make sure it is the correct file I am extracting and then attempting to flash.  Can't seem to get past the command prompt issue.  My son has a Pixel book so not sure how to use that.  He will try to borrow his friends laptop and see if that can do it.  Using a crappy Sam's club Lynksys now as a temp.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7