× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 wired speed to Internet stuck at 100mbit/second - wireless is fine

Zablalbaz
Star

Orbi RBR50 wired speed to Internet stuck at 100mbit/second - wireless is fine

Hey All,

Suddenly I am having a problem where all my WIRED devices are stuck at 100mbit/s when going out to the Internet through my Orbi router. This is a new behavior, and I have made no changes to my configuration, or updated any firmware in about a year. In the past, I have consistently gotten 800-900mbit/sec when I check my Internet speed on wired clients and about 400-500mbit/sec on my wireless clients.

When I run the integrated speed test on the Orbi router itself, I am consistently pulling down gigabit fiber speeds. So that is working as expected. When I test Internet speeds while connected with devices like my laptop or phone wirelessly, I am also seeing 500+ mbit/second. So wireless clients are also achieving the correct speeds. When I test wired speeds locally on my lan I am getting Gigabit Ethernet speeds between my server and my client systems. So I have confirmed that Gigabit ethernet is working locally between all wired devices. The only time I see the slow down is when I am connected via copper to my network and try to run a speedtest out to the Internet. To me it seems like the slow down is occuring at the Ethernet bridge of the Orbi router itself.

To sum it all up, I am seeing the following behavior.

WIRED Orbi Router to Internet = ~800-900mbit/sec - works as expected (Integrated Orbi speedtest tool used)

WIRED clients to WIRED local server on my LAN = ~950mbit/sec - works as expected (iperf used to test)

WIRELESS clients to Internet = ~400-500 mbit/sec - works as expected (Speakeasy or Ookla test)

WIRED clients to Switch to Orbi Router out to Internet = 80-90mbit/sec = NOT working as expected (Speakeasy or Ookla test)

My setup:

AT&T gigabit fiber modem > Orbi RBR50 > Netgear Gigabit Ethernet switch > Another Netgear Ethernet switch > Wired Clients

I've just started my debug, so next thing I'm going to do is hook my laptop up directly to an Ethernet port on the Orbi router itself and see what speeds I get. If I get Gigabit speeds there, I'm going to start testing my netgear switches... maybe a bad port somewhere. 

But if anyone has seen this sort of behavior on the Orbi router already, I welcome your feedback. 

Message 1 of 3
Puch96
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR50 wired speed to Internet stuck at 100mbit/second - wireless is fine

Based on your description, it seems that the switch is limitting full speed....

As you stated, conenct directly to the router ethernet port and compare...

Message 2 of 3
Zablalbaz
Star

That's my guess too. I'm going to try connecting directly to the router when my dongle gets here. I'll report back the results when I get to it. Good luck with your problem!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7