Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 and Wired Satellites

bgibs2003
Tutor

Orbi RBR750 and Wired Satellites

Hi - I have the RBR750 with two satellite setup.  For each satellite, I have a wired ethernet connection.  However, when I plug in the ethernet (to get the full speeds), they stop working uniformly. The big issue I have is that our WiFi printer cannot be used unless you are on the Router's wifi.  If you are on the satellite, the printer cannot be accessed.

When the routers are synced without the ethernet cable, it shows the Router and two dotted lines to each Satellite (Satellites show side by side on the Network app).  When the ethernet is plugged in...one satellite has a dotted line to the router, and the other has a solid line from the satellite to the other satellite (stacked on top of each other).

I also noticed that a separate domain (Router is on 172.16.0.x) and one of the two satelites is on 192.168.1.x.

Any thoughts for how I can have my mesh system truly be mesh v. what feels like 3 separate networks?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Orbi RBR750 and Wired Satellites

@bgibs2003 wrote:

I also noticed that a separate domain (Router is on 172.16.0.x) and one of the two satelites is on 192.168.1.x.

That first IP address smells like some sort of local configuration issue.

It suggests that something has detected "a conflict with a WAN IP address".

What do you see when you aim a browser at the 172.16.0.x address?

@bgibs2003 wrote:

Hi - I have the RBR750 with two satellite setup. 

You are in the wrong place for that. You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk). (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here. However the Orbi system uses some very different technologies from standard routers, especially with satellites, you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS connected to the RBR, directly behind the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

@bgibs2003 wrote:

Hi - I have the RBR750 with two satellite setup.  For each satellite, I have a wired ethernet connection.  However, when I plug in the ethernet (to get the full speeds), they stop working uniformly. The big issue I have is that our WiFi printer cannot be used unless you are on the Router's wifi.  If you are on the satellite, the printer cannot be accessed.

When the routers are synced without the ethernet cable, it shows the Router and two dotted lines to each Satellite (Satellites show side by side on the Network app).  When the ethernet is plugged in...one satellite has a dotted line to the router, and the other has a solid line from the satellite to the other satellite (stacked on top of each other).

Any thoughts for how I can have my mesh system truly be mesh v. what feels like 3 separate networks?

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@bgibs2003 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7