× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi with Sky in the UK

AMGS
Tutor

Orbi with Sky in the UK

Before I consign my Orbi and 2 satellites to the scrap heap, in desperation, has anyone found a stable configuration to use Orbi with Sky fibre? I am connected by Ethernet to the Sky router with its wireless turned off and the Orbi router in AP mode. When it’s working it’s fine, but it is very unstable - for the first year or so I was having to reset Orbi every few days, now it’s several times a day. Firmware is up to date
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@AMGS wrote:
Thank you for the response - in turn:

1) it’s quite a big house around a central large stairwell

2) the first satellite is about 12 feet from the router and the second is about 15 feet from the first---The Satellites should be minimum 30ft apart/from main router as well. Try moving these further apart

3) haven’t tried

4) wireless (I think) - there’s no wired connection between the Orbi units. Enable daisychain topology checkbox is ticked

5) house is old (early 19 C) brick and timber----Brick does an excellent job of blocking wifi. An Excellent Job of it. If you have a solid brick wall in between router/satellites its going to make the wireless backhaul really sketchy. I'd look into wired backhaul whether you use ethernet runs or using powerline adapters to allow a wired backhaul.  I know people with concrete/brick have issues with the backhaul, it'll work for awhile and then struggle until they reboot. I know the whole premise of orbi is wireless backhual but some houses are going to struggle with it. You can do the wired backhaul and retain the seamless roaming and still have great coverage with Orbi.  

Problem I see for you is if you go powerline, is that it struggles with older wiring. This is true for the homeplug av2 devices.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

More details on the issue would help.

You have the orbi in AP mode so it has no routing function. 

How large of an area are they covering?

How far apart are they?

Does it work better if you remove 1 of the satellites or even just run the router alone (for testing)?

Are you using the wireless backhaul or wired backhaul?

House materials? wood/sheetrock/brick/foil lined insulation?

Message 2 of 8
AMGS
Tutor

2) the first satellite is about 12 feet from the router and the second is about 15 feet from the first

3) haven’t tried

4) wireless (I think) - there’s no wired connection between the Orbi units. Enable daisychain topology checkbox is ticked

5) house is old (early 19 C) brick and timber

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@AMGS wrote:

2) the first satellite is about 12 feet from the router and the second is about 15 feet from the first---The Satellites should be minimum 30ft apart/from main router as well. Try moving these further apart

3) haven’t tried

5) house is old (early 19 C) brick and timber----Brick does an excellent job of blocking wifi. An Excellent Job of it. If you have a solid brick wall in between router/satellites its going to make the wireless backhaul really sketchy. I'd look into wired backhaul whether you use ethernet runs or using powerline adapters to allow a wired backhaul.  I know people with concrete/brick have issues with the backhaul, it'll work for awhile and then struggle until they reboot. I know the whole premise of orbi is wireless backhual but some houses are going to struggle with it. You can do the wired backhaul and retain the seamless roaming and still have great coverage with Orbi.  

Problem I see for you is if you go powerline, is that it struggles with older wiring. This is true for the homeplug av2 devices.  

Message 4 of 8
AMGS
Tutor

Thanks again. I’ll try moving the satellites further away. Power line - cable from the back of the Orbi router and then via Wi-fi from the wall to the satellites or cables again? Hopefully the wiring isn’t too bad...

So there isn’t anything about the Sky configuration particularly which is problematic?
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@AMGS wrote:
Thanks again. I’ll try moving the satellites further away. Power line - cable from the back of the Orbi router and then via Wi-fi from the wall to the satellites or cables again? Hopefully the wiring isn’t too bad...   I'd go ORbi router---powerline device---powerline device---Orbi satellite.  Try to keep wireless out of there.  

So there isn’t anything about the Sky configuration particularly which is problematic?  Only real way to test this is in the same room with the main router/sky gateway.  If your using wireless in that area or a hardwired connection to the main router, is there problems? Or is it only once you leave that area and have the brick blocking signals/causing interference?  

Message 6 of 8
AMGS
Tutor

Thanks again for your help. Powerlines are ordered.

The signal in the room with the Sky router and Orbi main unit is strong until the whole setup starts to fail, which feels consistent with the backhaul problem you described. So far, system seems stable with satellites located further apart. Many thanks

Message 7 of 8
AMGS
Tutor

48 hours on and the system has been completely stable - thank you plemans for your help.  Moving the satellites further away is such simple advice but feels counter-intuitive, but it seems to have done the trick. plemans is a genius!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7