× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PIN Code Location on Router

Pgafric
Initiate

PIN Code Location on Router

I am trying to register another pc on my N300 WiFi router but it tells me to enter the 8 digit pin on the router display. Does anyone know where this 8 digit number is located?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

@Pgafric wrote:

I called the technical team but they want to charge me $149 to fix it and I can buy a new one for $40 but would prefer to fix the one I have if anyone has an answer? 

That is an evil system that does Netgear no favours.

Are you trying to connect a PC to the wifi? (I'm not sure what "register" means.) A PIN number is rarely needed for this.

You usually just fire up the PC's wifi service, tell it to look for the SSID and then feed in the password. That's either the one on the WNR2000v5 or something that you have set yourself.

Sometimes the wifi client has an option to "press" a WPS button. Do that and press the WPS button on the WNR2000v5 and the two will connect without having to feed in any numbers.

The manual for your device is here:

>>> WNR2000v5 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

Which N300? That's a wifi speed not a router model.

You should not need the PIN number, if you can use WPS, but you should be able to find it in the WPS Settings pages of your device's controls.

Where you'll find that depends on the model number (see above). On my device it is >> Advanced >> Wireless Settings.

Message 2 of 6
Pgafric
Initiate

I'm sorry, I meant to say I have model WNR2000v5.  I went into advanced and wireless and tried using the code listed there but this pop up keeps telling me I have to put in an 8 digit PIN that is on the router and there isn't a PIN number on there.  I called the technical team but they want to charge me $149 to fix it and I can buy a new one for $40 but would prefer to fix the one I have if anyone has an answer?  Thank you to anyone who may be able to help.

Message 3 of 6

@Pgafric wrote:

I called the technical team but they want to charge me $149 to fix it and I can buy a new one for $40 but would prefer to fix the one I have if anyone has an answer? 

That is an evil system that does Netgear no favours.

Are you trying to connect a PC to the wifi? (I'm not sure what "register" means.) A PIN number is rarely needed for this.

You usually just fire up the PC's wifi service, tell it to look for the SSID and then feed in the password. That's either the one on the WNR2000v5 or something that you have set yourself.

Sometimes the wifi client has an option to "press" a WPS button. Do that and press the WPS button on the WNR2000v5 and the two will connect without having to feed in any numbers.

The manual for your device is here:

>>> WNR2000v5 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 4 of 6
William10a
Master

A 8 digit code is generally used by the wps of the router and device yur are trying to connect to it are you trying to use wps when connecting the other computer?

If by wifi normally you just have to find your ssid of your network you want to use and when you tell the computer too log into you will be asked for the passphrease you set the wifi for once enter the computer should remember it.

Message 5 of 6

Thanks you for translating my explanations into gibberish. I am sure this will help the person who asked for help.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7