× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLEASE TELL ME....should I be concerned?????

jndpj
Aspirant

PLEASE TELL ME....should I be concerned?????

Hello.  Thank you for taking time to read this.  So a few months back I upgraded my internet to Gigablast from Cox.  And its been awesome.  Thousand up/thousand down.  So they say, I've actually seen low 900's though - which is so nice!

Slowly but surely the performance of the router started to degrade, always having to reset it as the ssid would stop broadcasting.  They(Cox) sent someone out last weekend and he replaced the router like for like.  But this one is doing things the other didn't do, and it really freaking me out!  I have no idea if I'm just being paranoid, or if there is grounds for my freaked-out-ness. 

On the router's web interface, while navigating through the different screens, "waiting for buycritical.com" always pops up in the bottom left.  I don't recall ever seeing that before.  Whois says that site is only a couple months old and in the Netherlands.  I can't find ANYTHING else about it.  It seems like if it were a legit 3rd party or affiliate of Netgear that I would be able to.  Also, I cant get to the remote management settings page.  It always just times out.  And the auto firmware update just hangs indefinitely, with "waiting for buycritical.com" flashing.  I would think a Netgear router, with a good internet connection, should have no problem connecting to the Netgear servers.  Mine can't.  Its like its being prohibited.  Another new development is that when I open Chrome and search Google, it immediately switches to a Bing search. 

I've run Malware Bytes, Avira & Chrome's own built-in tool.  All come back clean.  Cox doesn't know.  Does anybody here know???  Maybe I'm going a little aluminum foil hat, but I'm starting to think I've been hacked at the hardware level.  Like the NSA is posing as Cox techs or something.  Cuz lately...Youtube knows WAY too much about me!  Oh, and all kidding aside, the tech that came was a subcontractor.  I ran into a guy in an actual big Cox van/truck and tried to pick his brain.  He didn't know, but he said that none of them carry this router.  They use Arris or something.  The fact this router was just installed by Cox this weekend, he said was very strange. 

Someone who knows about this stuff (I know zero) please tell if I should be concerned or not.  Thank you very much for your time & advice. Jhangs here indefinitelyhangs here indefinitelywont let me access remote mgmtwont let me access remote mgmtshows up not just on router pagesshows up not just on router pages

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
additude
Virtuoso

Re: PLEASE TELL ME....should I be concerned?????

Have you logged in with another device, like a different computer, your cell phone, etc and seen or not seen the same things?

Reason is, isolate your "New Equipment" from your "Previous way of Connecting" so that you can know that it is the new equipment and not something with the way you connect to it.

If it's the same scenario for all connection types, then it's the New Equipment. If only 1 connecting equipment experiences those traits, then it's probably that connecting equipment.

But all that sounds pretty fishy to me.

I'd be back on the horn to COX and asking for supports verification if all connected equipment displays the same traits.

Besides, if you can't get to some of the configuration settings you need to get COX support to help.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
additude
Virtuoso

Have you logged in with another device, like a different computer, your cell phone, etc and seen or not seen the same things?

Reason is, isolate your "New Equipment" from your "Previous way of Connecting" so that you can know that it is the new equipment and not something with the way you connect to it.

If it's the same scenario for all connection types, then it's the New Equipment. If only 1 connecting equipment experiences those traits, then it's probably that connecting equipment.

But all that sounds pretty fishy to me.

I'd be back on the horn to COX and asking for supports verification if all connected equipment displays the same traits.

Besides, if you can't get to some of the configuration settings you need to get COX support to help.

Message 2 of 4
jndpj
Aspirant

well, uh....I feel stupid (& contagious)...when you are troubleshooting anything, best way to go about it is process of elimination.  So I'm rather embarassed that I had not already thought of and tried your suggestion.  Good news is we can all relax now....Homeland Security has not infiltrated my little apartment.  The strange behavior only occurs on my laptop on Chrome.  Not on any other devices or not even other browsers on same device.  Guess my installation of Chrome is muddled-up with something.  Guess I'll unstall and reinstall.  As silly as I feel, I hope you can at least see what rabbit hole my mind was going down, and how it got there.  I hadn't called Cox back out because I was about to just hand over a potential smoking gun.  But anyway.  Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, and saving the last few remaining fragments of my sanity.  Kind regards.

Message 3 of 4
additude
Virtuoso

Hi,

You discovered a fix to your concern and that is all that matters. No one is perfect and others want to help.

Thanks for replying back and letting the thread know the status.

If you would please, click the "this answer" to let everyone know that you have found an answer to your question.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7