× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP2000 Speed is getting slower

JosephP
Aspirant

PLP2000 Speed is getting slower

I have 4 PLP2000 Adapters at my home. Generally speaking all units are working fine in pretty good speed. However, I am occasionally experiencing that the speed is dropping to 0.5~1.5MB down and 0.5~3MB up. I understand that the powerline adapter may be interfered by some electric devices at home while the devices are in use. But I am noticing that the speed never come back to normal even if the device is no longer be in use and unplugged.

To fix the problem, I have to press reset button about 2 ~ 3 secs and wait 2 mins, then speed is back to normal in most case (sometimes need to unplug the adapter and plug back). 

The funny thing is that when the units are in such sluggish condition, I still see all LEDs on all units are in green. So, I won't be able to notice the speed problem until I really hit the long delay problem on my computer. 

This is kind of very annoying and not giving me a reliable feeling because it happens occassionally while I am in an important conference calls.

I don't know if it is very normal behavior or some bug in the units ?!?

Tried to find any firmware update, but I couldn't find any information about that.

Anyone has same issue and happened to resolve the problem?

Appreciated any help.

Best Regards,

J.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 5

Re: PLP2000 Speed is getting slower

@JosephP wrote:

However, I am occasionally experiencing that the speed is dropping to 0.5~1.5MB down and 0.5~3MB up.

Speed of what? Powerline plugs are just "fake Ethernet" that works over your mains circuit. They are just dumb devices have no "intelligence" that can control your connections.

I would investigate other devices on your network that really do have control over the local traffic. It might help of you told people what else is on the network.

@JosephP wrote:

To fix the problem, I have to press reset button about 2 ~ 3 secs and wait 2 mins, then speed is back to normal in most case (sometimes need to unplug the adapter and plug back). 

It might be less of a hassle simply to unplug the Ethernet device and plug it back in again.

@JosephP wrote:

Tried to find any firmware update, but I couldn't find any information about that.

That's because there isn't much that needs firmware on plain plugs. Wifi plugs are a different matter.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk). (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but Powerline kit has not much in common with routers so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Powerline Networking - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 5
JosephP
Aspirant

Hi Michaelkenward,

Thanks for the reply.

I think my issue is the occassional PLP2000 speed down (90MB --> 1MB or lower in the speedtest by Ookla) and it requires resetting the unit to recover the normal speed.

Of course the internet speed on other computers using Wifi is normal (usually 5G: 250MB, 2G:90MB) while the PLP2000 speed is down dramtically.

My home internet is Fibre and ISP provides 300MB down/up speed.

I understand Power Line Apdapter speed could be frequently affected by many home appliances and whatever devices using the electricity at home.. But the expectation is the speed should be back to normal (90MB) when the noise is disappeared.  I had to reset the unit when such instance happens. The funny thing is the 3 LED lights are all green indicating the good quality network when the speed down happens. That is really an annoying part at least to me.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 5

@JosephP wrote:

.... it requires resetting the unit to recover the normal speed.

You have said that before. Did you read my reply?

My point is that I am not convinced that the behaviour you see "requires resetting the unit". Just because your speeds recover when you do that does not mean that it requires resetting. What you are doing simply breaks the connections over the plugs' circuit. Maybe that is what restores the speeds.

I suggested other things to try – such as simply unplugging Ethernet devices from the plugs and the reconnecting them. Or even turning the plugs on and off.

Resetting plugs is required only when your plugs lose their connections to each other. You have already explained that this does not happen.

Maybe you have tried other things. You messages don't say. A network consists of many connected devices. The challenge is to work out where the problems arise. My experience of Powerline Ethernet is that it is on or off. Plugs have no way of controlling the speed of the traffic on the network.

In other words, I am not at all convinced by this bit:

@JosephP wrote:

I think my issue is the occassional PLP2000 speed down (90MB --> 1MB or lower in the speedtest by Ookla)

What evidence is there of that?

By the way speedtests like Ookla are not infallible.

Message 4 of 5
JTVic
Aspirant

I have the same problem.

Powerline adapters are not on/off, the adapter delivers a range of speeds depending on conditions, they do not control the speed of the network but can be a bottleneck. Powerline adapters do not send ethernet data over home wiring, the data is converted to an alternate format, transmitted and received at its own speed and then converted back to ethernet data.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/440477/how-can-homeplug-device-send-ethernet-down-ma...

It is quite easy to see when the speed drops in my case because media streaming on my PS4 buffers constantly.

This never seems to happen while I'm streaming but the next time I fire up my PS4 the speed could be fine or it could be slow. It is obvious within a few seconds. So then I unplug the adapter that is not connected to the PS4 because that resets the connection but the PS4 doesn't think that the network is gone so no reboot or restart of the streaming app is needed. I assume this forces the pair to re-establish communications and gets back the top speed. Probably the best that could be hoped for is a warranty replacement. I suspect the device has deteriorated with age.

Resetting probably does the same thing but it takes longer.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7