× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PR2000 VPN issues from iphone (openvpn client)

andy_
Aspirant

PR2000 VPN issues from iphone (openvpn client)

Hi!

I recently purhased the N300 Trek Travel Router and Range Extender 802.11n.

When using an IOS (eg iPhone, iPad, etc.) device behind the PR2000, I cannot connect to my VPN server. I have tested this using multiple IOS devices.

I use OpenVPN client app on my IOS devices.

Errors, logs and trouble-shooting:

- OpenVPN client stalls at "Looking up DNS name"

- Checked my VPN server logs and it looks like IOS devices are not even connecting

Therefore, from what I can tell the router is not passing (blocking) the DNS traffic outbound/ inbound traffic.

Notes - behind same PR2000:

- Firmware update indicates that latest firmware is installed (v1.0.0.15_1.0.1)

- all other browsing, email IMAPS/POPS traffic, etc works fine

- PR2000 settings: All 3 VPN passthrough settings (IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP) are enabled on the PR2000 control panel
- VPN connectiong successful through OSX laptop: My OSX laptop successfull connects behind PR2000 to VPN server using tunnelblick vpn client

- VPN connecting succuessful through windows box: My windows system successfully connects to a entirely different VPN server using IPSec

Notes - not behind PR2000:

- IOS devices successfull connect to VPN server when using 3G/LTE and other wireless routers

Does anyone have an idea of why this is the case? And perhaps a solution?

Thank you in advance!

Model: PR2000 - Trek N300 Travel Router and Range Extender
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
andy_
Aspirant

Re: PR2000 VPN issues from iphone (openvpn client)

Great points and very well said @AFNYC84!

From a customer perspective, stating "EOL" clearly is critically important for any purchase.  Pass through for all major VPN types should be tested/ included by default regardless of EOL (IMO).

FYI: After a fair amount of work, I did get IPSec to work through the PR2000. Although, now I need to support 2 VPN options instead of just 1 - which means extra (unnecessary) work.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @andy_

Welcome to the community!

Can you try it on Android? Just to confirm if this only happens on mobile devices.

Message 2 of 11
andy_
Aspirant

Hi Elain,

Thanks for your reply.

I finally tested this on my Galaxy 7.

Same issue with Android as with IOS.

Getting "stuck" during the DNS lookup process.

Any ideas / solution thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Message 3 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let me check this with our engineering team.

Will get back to you as soon as I have response. 

Message 4 of 11
AFNYC84
Initiate

Hi Elaine,

I am having the exact same issue as the original poster, Andy_.

I would also be very interested in hearing any information the engineering techs have to say about resolving this issue.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 11
andy_
Aspirant

Hi Elain,

Any update to this issue?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize but since PR2000 has been considered EOL, there will be no future firmware to be released for this product. 

Message 7 of 11
andy_
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply! 

It it is very much appreciated.

i must admit I am disappointed though. It would seem that this is a very basic functionality.

i like the functionality of wisp and LAN plus NAT FW and USB charging; however, had I known the lack of VPN support I would not have purchased it.

i travel where I regularly connect to insecure hotel wifi and use VPN as a means of protection against eavesdropping.

is there anything that can be done to assist?

Thank Ng you in advance.

Message 8 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try the IPSec VPN on your iOS device.

Message 9 of 11
AFNYC84
Initiate

Thank you for the reply Elaine.

I agree with andy_, the response is very disappointing.

The item is not listed on your own website as being "EOL" and retailers who are selling the product have no idea that the product is EOL.

In short, basically what you are telling us is the product does not work as advertised and Netgear is refusing to provide support.

Had I know all of this in advance, I would not have purchased this product, but now I am stuck with it.

When you purchase a product, you expect the manufacturer to provide technical support or to indicate ahead of time that the product is no longer supported. Neither of these things happened.

I am very disappointed with Netgear. I am sorry I purchased this product and another router model of yours which I am sure you would also decline to support if I run into problems.
Message 10 of 11
andy_
Aspirant

Great points and very well said @AFNYC84!

From a customer perspective, stating "EOL" clearly is critically important for any purchase.  Pass through for all major VPN types should be tested/ included by default regardless of EOL (IMO).

FYI: After a fair amount of work, I did get IPSec to work through the PR2000. Although, now I need to support 2 VPN options instead of just 1 - which means extra (unnecessary) work.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7