× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PR2000

katscornerrec
Aspirant

PR2000

Lately I've been running into an issue with which wifi network my PR2000 is selecting. I have profiles set up for a few regular locations, which all work great - *when* the PR2000 selects the correct wifi. Lately, there are "xfinitywifi" hotspots popping up all over town which seem to somehow be favoured by the automatic selection - but I do not have an xfinity login in order to use those connections. I have set up the profiles for wifi networks for which I *do* have ssid and WPA keys. But most of the time after setting up and powering on the PR2000, I wait for the connection only to find that I have to log into it as admin to fix the connection.

Even though I am in the proper location for a saved profile, and the strength of the desired access point is just as high as that for the xfinitywifi, it selects the xfinity. I have to use admin privs to log in and select (force) the proper access point. As soon as I do, it recognises that there is a profile for it, loads it, and all is well.

Is there not a way for the PR2000 (as there is for my phone, tablet, and laptop) to specify that it *only* connect to wifi accesses for which I have provided authorisation?

Thank you to any and all who can offer any insight/ideas/help on this.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: PR2000

Welcome to the community, @katscornerrec

There are no other settings on the PR2000 other than specifying the preferred network that it connects to and supply the wireless security settings. 

Can you try to relocate the router? It seems that the other signal is stronger.

Also, do you have the latest firmware installed on the router? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @katscornerrec

There are no other settings on the PR2000 other than specifying the preferred network that it connects to and supply the wireless security settings. 

Can you try to relocate the router? It seems that the other signal is stronger.

Also, do you have the latest firmware installed on the router? 

Message 2 of 4
katscornerrec
Aspirant

Re firmware: Yes, I had just checked a day or so before my original posting, and no updates were found.

Re relocating: not possible at one site; the PR2000 is located at the one power outlet location where I can reach it from my mobile devices and it can reach the site wifi.

Re signal strength: according to the graph on the PR2000, both the site wifi and the xfinity wifi are comparable in strength. Besides that, it appears that when the xfinity wifi is detected, no further searching is done - it shows as the ONLY wifi in the area. When I log in as admin and force a refresh, it comes up with about 8 or 10 additional networks in the area including the one I want (as it should in the first place).

If I understand the concept of these "new" hotspots that are cropping up - the ones which are set up to be automatically preferred by mobile devices and not require a key - it seems that xfinity may be one such hotspot. If so, I believe that it is encoded in the connection protocol to prefer such networks over anything else, so that *my* actual preferred access point is being ignored. If this is the case, without any means to tell the PR2000 to specifically ignore such hotspots, there is nothing to be done other than what I am already doing - manually check and force re-connection as necessary.

As I may have mentioned in my OP, my phone and tablet attempted such ignore-all-in-favor-of-xfinity procedure, but with them I have the means of forcing a "forget" for those networks, which results in connection to the network I actually want.

Thank you for the input, I just wanted to see if there was a means of ignoring specific available wifi networks on the PR2000 as there is on my mobile devices, and this tells me that there is not. Not the answer I was hoping to find, but it is an answer nonetheless. Thank you.  🙂

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're very welcome. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements