PS3 and 5G

gordoncanada
Novice

PS3 and 5G

Hello,
I just hooked up my new WDNR3700 router. The 2G network is recognized by all my peripherals (laptop, desktop, and PS3). Nothing recognizes the 5G network. The only thing I care about though is the PS3; I got this router to run a separate 5G network for the PS3 (even if it can only run at wireless g speeds until the PS3 is upgraded for wireless N networks).

Can anyone help me with this? I feel like I'm missing a setting.

Thanks, Gordon
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: PS3 and 5G

The PS3 only has a 2.4GHz radio not a 5GHz.
Message 2 of 10
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

You can get a WNDR3300 at a reasonable price online (about the price of a wireless adapter), flash dd-wrt, and use it as a wireless client bridge using 5 GHz radio. Works very well with PS3, which can be hard wired to a LAN port on WNDR3300.
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Since ps3 supports 2.4GHz only, purchase WHNDE111 and connect to your main router 3700.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 10
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Since ps3 supports 2.4GHz only, purchase WHNDE111 and connect to your main router 3700.

Couldn't you have the wndr3700 transmit to the wndr3000 (wireless client bridge) on 5 GHz (less traffic) and have the PS3 hardwired to a LAN port on the wndr3300 (dd-wrt)? I had this setup before with a different main router and worked well.
Message 5 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Choice of repeat with two routers or use bridge such as WHNDDE111
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 10
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

You're right. WHNDE111 is ready to go without flashing any 3p firmware and the prices are good!
Message 7 of 10
gordoncanada
Novice

Thanks everybody. I'm going to get an access point:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_356&item_id=031082

Then I'll be able to run on the 5G network for the best throughput and the least chance of jittering. Does anyone foresee any problems with that?

Gordon
Message 8 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You need client bridgeable unit

Whnde111 is what you want PS3 which does nit support 5Ghz

3700 do support both band so you do need to buy another AP
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 10
rmach
Aspirant

taekwon3dan wrote:
Couldn't you have the wndr3700 transmit to the wndr3000 (wireless client bridge) on 5 GHz (less traffic) and have the PS3 hardwired to a LAN port on the wndr3300 (dd-wrt)? I had this setup before with a different main router and worked well.
I am using a WNDR 3400 as a wireless access point for my wired network and connect my PS 3 currently using that on 2.4 GHZ network. I have a WNDR 3300 router that I was hoping to use as a bridge to get 5GHZ for my PS3. Can someone tell me exactly how to do this? I have read a lot of posts on Flashing the WNDR3300 router but want to make sure I have to go through this before I do it. Also read about using the repeater function of the router. Alas I am new to this stuff and just want to get faster speeds for my NHL Gamecenter Live subscription. Any help is appreciated!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E