PS4 IP packet fragmentation issue - R6120 + Nighthawk Ex7000

Shenalh
Follower

PS4 IP packet fragmentation issue - R6120 + Nighthawk Ex7000

Hi all,

I've been having this problem for a few days and I searched far and wide and couldn't find a lasting solution or a proper recreation of this problem. It might be lengthy but I'll try my best to explain it.

My router is about 8 months old and I was super happy with its performance all this time. My PS4 is wired to my Netgear EX7000 wi-fi extender and the setup has been working for me extremely well for so long until recently I had some severe packet drops while playing Apex Legends (I know this was packet drops as Apex Legends showcase icons when something is wrong with the network and in this case showed packet loss and was followed by high ping), I thought this was a server side fault for sometime and figured that I was the only one having this problem and ran a network test while this is happening on the PS4 and after a considerably long amount, it showed a drastically reduced DL and UL speed (NAT 2, so that's fine) and a message down below saying that my router may not support ip packet fragmentation.

The thing is, this happens at totally random times and when it doesn't happen, everything runs completely fine. The internet is fine and actually, every other online game is fine as well. Only Apex Legends is affected. My mates who use the same ISP and plays the same game very closeby to my place is not affected. I have tried everything from setting various MTUs to putting PS4 IP on DHZ and whatnot. I am not exactly too tech savvy so I can't really think of anything else to do. No matter which MTU I set, the problem came back. Sometimes it just fixes itself for awhile and comes back at random times and its infuriating. I am honestly at a lost what to do here. Every other item that connects to the internet it my house works absolutely fine.

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: PS4 IP packet fragmentation issue - R6120 + Nighthawk Ex7000

A couple things that will help.

1. What firmware is on your router and extender?

2. What modem are you using?

3. speeds you pay for?  Speeds you get with a hardwired test?

4. If you pull up your modem's connections can you post a screen snip of your modems connections page and your log?

5. Are there many wifi networks in your area? have you tried changing wireless channels to optimize for the ones in the area? Or used fastlane to ensure a fast connection between extender and router?

Many times with issues like this, it isn't always the router or the extender, it could be the modem connection or the ISP's line. Online gaming is more sensative to interference. Reason why is that  movie streaming/music streaming can download a bit of a buffer. This allows them to keep working and be more stable. Online gaming is a constant upload/download stream of updating date. So I'd focus first on making sure your modem connection is good. Another thing you can try is to (temporarily) connect your ps4 directly to the router or modem and see if the issue persists. If it does, that helps to isolate where the issue is coming from.

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements