× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Password recovery does not work

hafizullah
Aspirant

Password recovery does not work

R6300V2 with next-to-latest firmware.

Came home to find I had no Internet access. Could not get into the router GUI, so tried hard reset. Router GUI came up in Set Password Recovery mode, so gave it the serial # and answers to two security questions.

It successfully took my new password. However, the login "admin" and the password I chose do not work. I follow the recovery prompts and it correctly shows the password I set, but at the login prompt, these are not accepted. Also tried "admin" & "password."

I have followed standard procedure for hard reset several times. The router gives me legit IP addresses of 193.168.1.1 for the router and 192.168.1.2 for my computer — reset from 10.0.0.1 for the router and 10.0.0.100 for the computer, but I still can't get into the GUI or past the password-recovery prompt. Tried using antinode's nifty nte.exe to telnet in (which worked before), but that fails.

Tried resetting by holding the Reset button while powering-up. No joy. Tried powering-up with "Wifi On/Off" & "WPS" buttons down. No joy.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@hafizullah wrote:

As I said: I have done a factory reset several times. To be clear: Holding the Reset button while powering-up, until the Power light begins to blink. 

I have no idea where you got that from. It is not the recognised factory reset.

To do that you press the "button" while the power is on.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There is a  more severe reset, but it is more complicated than your procedure.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Then there is the question about the rest of your network. As you have been told, the IP address you see for the computer, 10.0.0.100, suggests that you have a second router on your network. The computer is getting its address from something else. Not your R6300v2.

What modem do you have?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> R6300V2 [...]

Connected to what?

> [...] with next-to-latest firmware.

An actual firmware version number might be more useful than that
description.

> [...] Could not get into the router GUI, [...]

"Could not"?  What happened when you tried?

> [...] tried hard reset. [...]

How, exactly?  Did the LED indicators do interesting things when you
did whatever you did?

> Tried resetting by holding the Reset button while powering-up. [...]

"holding" for how long?  What does the User Manual suggest?  Seven
seconds?  Longer?

> [...] Router GUI [...]

Accessed how, exactly?  "routerlogin" name?  IP address?

> [...] came up in Set Password Recovery mode, [...]

If you really had reset the router, then I would not expect that.

> [...] The router gives me legit IP addresses of 193.168.1.1 for the
> router and 192.168.1.2 for my computer - reset from 10.0.0.1 for the
> router and 10.0.0.100 for the computer, but I still can't get into the
> GUI or past the password-recovery prompt. [...]

Are you trying to say that your computer formerly had a "10.0.0.x"
address, but now has a "192.168.x" address?  "10.0.0.x" suggests the
presence of another router.  Are you sure that you're talking to the
right one?

> Tried using antinode's nifty nte.exe to telnet in (which worked
> before), but that fails.

You need the right password for that, too.

Message 2 of 8

@hafizullah wrote:

Came home to find I had no Internet access. Could not get into the router GUI, so tried hard reset. Router GUI came up in Set Password Recovery mode, so gave it the serial # and answers to two security questions.

As already stated, after a reset there is no password to recover. It goes back to the default.

After a reset, it might start in setup mode.

I chip in only to add a warning about password recovery.

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 3 of 8
hafizullah
Aspirant

As I said: I have done a factory reset several times. To be clear: Holding the Reset button while powering-up, until the Power light begins to blink. 

When it's "up," ipconfig says my IP address is 192.168.1.2, and the router is at 192.168.1.1

Connecting via IE or Chrome to the gateway address: The router does not accept the default login of "admin" and "password" and bumps me to the password-recovery after a couple of attempts. It asks me the two questions I answered after the first factory reset, it offers the password I'd set, and then just goes into a loop of refusing the login of "admin" and the password I'd set.

Message 4 of 8
hafizullah
Aspirant

<<

Connected to what?

>>
Laptop computer running Windows 7 via an ethernet cable to LAN port 1.
<<

An actual firmware version number might be more useful than that
description.

>>
I believe it's 1.0.4.32_10.0.92, since that's the latest I've downloaded. 
<<
>>

> [...] tried hard reset. [...]

How, exactly?  Did the LED indicators do interesting things when you
did whatever you did?

<<
Power the router off and disconnect the power cord. Wait 5 minutes. Depress the Reset switch with paper clip and re-insert power cord. Press Power button. The LEDs light up, then go dark. I wait for three cycles of this, then un-press the Reset switch and let it boot up normally.

[...] Could not get into the router GUI, [...]

"Could not"?  What happened when you tried?

>>
1. ipconfig says I'm at 192.168.1.2 and the router is at 192.168.1.1; I launch IE or Chrome and enter 192.168.1.1 to the addressbar.
2. I'm asked for a login, suggesting "admin" and a string of asterisks in the password field. I try a login name of "admin" and "password" for the password field.
3. The dialogbox flashes and presents the login & password field again. I try "admin" and "password," and it presents me with the password-recovery screen asking for the router's serial #.
4. I enter the serial # from the bottom of the router, then it goes to the password hint questions that I'd entered the first time I did a full reset (as above).
5. I enter the answers and it displays the login "admin" and the password I'd set the first time. I copy that to the clipboard (and just to test, paste to a text editor. It's correct).
6. I press the "login" button and it offers "admin" as the login name and a string of asterisks for the password. I tab to the Password field and paste my password.
7. I press the Sign In button and the dialog flashes, repeating the prompt for "admin" as the login name and a string of asterisks as the password. I repeat step 6 and it takes me to the Password Recovery prompt.
<<

> [...] came up in Set Password Recovery mode, [...]

If you really had reset the router, then I would not expect that.

>>
Me neither. That's why I'm here asking for help.

<<

> [...] The router gives me legit IP addresses of 193.168.1.1 for the
> router and 192.168.1.2 for my computer - reset from 10.0.0.1 for the
> router and 10.0.0.100 for the computer, but I still can't get into the
> GUI or past the password-recovery prompt. [...]

Are you trying to say that your computer formerly had a "10.0.0.x"
address, but now has a "192.168.x" address?  "10.0.0.x" suggests the
presence of another router.  Are you sure that you're talking to the
right one?

>>
I am trying to say that I originally set up the gateway addy to 10.0.0.1 and the LAN addressblock to 10.0.0.100–10.0.0.110. So the reset put the router back to the default private addressblock, but did not reset the login and password. And no, there's no other router. The laptop and router are sitting on my dining-room table, connected via ethernet cable.

Message 5 of 8

@hafizullah wrote:

I have no idea where you got that from. It is not the recognised factory reset.

To do that you press the "button" while the power is on.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There is a  more severe reset, but it is more complicated than your procedure.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Then there is the question about the rest of your network. As you have been told, the IP address you see for the computer, 10.0.0.100, suggests that you have a second router on your network. The computer is getting its address from something else. Not your R6300v2.

What modem do you have?

Message 6 of 8
hafizullah
Aspirant

<<

Press reset for 30 seconds Keep pressing reset while removing power Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

>>
Tried that just now. No joy. Same result as before. 30 actual, Earth seconds by the clock.

<<

>>
One more time: When I set up the router a year ago, I set the gateway address to 10.0.0.1 and the LAN addressblock to 10.0.0.100–10.0.0.110 ... because I like it better. It's easier to type. 

After resetting the R6300, my laptop's IP address is 192.168.1.2, as expected

The router and laptop are sitting on my dining table, connected via ethernet to LAN port 1 on the R6300.

My Internet connection — how I'm talking to you — is totally separate. There is no connection whatever between them. WiFi is OFF for the laptop connected to the router in question. 

So, yeah, it doesn't make sense why a reset per the documentation is not working to reset the login. That's why I'm here asking you...

Message 7 of 8
hafizullah
Aspirant

Got it working. Tried the standard Reset one more time and got in. Disabled password recovery.

Thanks to those who tried to help. I appreciate your patience and your experience.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7