× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PoE 802.3at router

Gall1
Aspirant

PoE 802.3at router

I need to connect a Wireless Access Point (LAPAC2600 Linksys) to my Netgear n300 Wireless Router (WNR2000v2).

I need Active PoE 802.3at to power the Wireless Access Point. Does anyone know if the N300 has PoE in its ethernet outlets.

Model: JWNR2000v2|Wireless- N 300 Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: PoE 802.3at router

@Gall1 wrote:

We have a 5  bedroom home and the wireless access point is to be wired with ethernet to the 2nd story.

The home is full brick and hence challenging with teenage kids complaining about wifi black spots.

The wireless router just needs to be suitable for a groudn floor with full brick walls, 3 bedrooms, large living area etc.

You have brick walls internal to your house? ouch, thats going to cause a lot of blocked signals. If you look at signal propagation through brick/concrete, its not good. 

I like to recommend orbi's because they work so well.  In this case, orbi's might be kind of expensive for what they'll accomplish plus the wireless backhaul will probably struggle with the blocked signals. It really doesn't matter how great of a AP you have when it comes to brick and concrete because they block so much. A mesh network would still be ideal but you'd be better off to go a cheaper mesh network and have multiple AP's placed around instead of 2 high powered ones. If you can hardwire them in for wired backhaul you'll do much better as well.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] my Netgear n300 Wireless Router (WNR2000v2).

> Model: JWNR2000v2|Wireless- N 300 Router

Which is it?

> [...] Does anyone know if the N300 has PoE in its ethernet outlets.

Did you look in the product documentation?  Visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get some.  Look for "PoE"?  If you can't find it,
then I'd guess that it's not a feature in that device.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

wnr2000v2 doesn't have PoE. You'd need a PoE injector. it looks like its maximum power requirement is 25 watt so make sure you get an injector that'll hit that. 

The only real issue I see here is that the wnr2000v2 is a 10/100mbps router. the linksys is way beyond that. Its going to make the netgear the bottleneck for speeds. Seems a bit futile to setup such a fast/capable AP when its being held back by the main router. 

Message 3 of 7
Gall1
Aspirant

Thank you for your advice, i have ordered a PoE injector that will power up to 30w. In terms of a more powerful wireless router. Do you have any suggestions to avoid the bottleneck and ensure i can future proof for a few years. As a novice it is so confusing trying to work out which wireless router i should upgrade to. If you dont have a specific model to recommend do you have some basic specifications or parameters i can apply to my purchase. Once again, thank you

Model: JWNR2000v2|Wireless- N 300 Router
Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

How large of an area are you trying to cover?

You're already buying a linksys business class AP that'll cover quite a bit of area. 

Basically look at the area you're trying to cover, factor in what your AP is going to cover and buy something that'll compliment it. 

If your AP will cover the whole area, you could be good and just need a basic router like ubiquiti edgerouter. If you need the added wifi coverage, then just look at what netgear offers for that coverage need.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/

Message 5 of 7
Gall1
Aspirant

We have a 5  bedroom home and the wireless access point is to be wired with ethernet to the 2nd story.

The home is full brick and hence challenging with teenage kids complaining about wifi black spots.

The wireless router just needs to be suitable for a groudn floor with full brick walls, 3 bedrooms, large living area etc.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Gall1 wrote:

You have brick walls internal to your house? ouch, thats going to cause a lot of blocked signals. If you look at signal propagation through brick/concrete, its not good. 

I like to recommend orbi's because they work so well.  In this case, orbi's might be kind of expensive for what they'll accomplish plus the wireless backhaul will probably struggle with the blocked signals. It really doesn't matter how great of a AP you have when it comes to brick and concrete because they block so much. A mesh network would still be ideal but you'd be better off to go a cheaper mesh network and have multiple AP's placed around instead of 2 high powered ones. If you can hardwire them in for wired backhaul you'll do much better as well.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7