× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Poor internet speed through router.

JCB72
Guide

Poor internet speed through router.

I recently upgraded my internet to Xfinity’s gigabit plan and I only get around 40 – 60 Mbps when connected through my wireless router (WNDR3700v4). My computer is connected to the router by a network cable via one of the 4 ports on the back of the router. When I connect the network cable directly from the modem (CM1000) to my computer I get around 850 Mbps.

Any ideas as to why this is? The router has the latest firmware (V1.0.2.102). I did turn off the SSID broadcasting to see if maybe there was someone leaching off of my connection but running the speedtest with the wireless turned off still yielded the same poor speeds.

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

1. Check your cable. a cat5 cable isn't going to hit gigabit speeds.

2. Since your update, have you reset/reinstalled the router? Never a bad idea on a plan change

3. Try changing ethernet ports. maybe you've got a bad one.

Personally? I'd look at a router upgrade if you're going to be running gigabit. This review from smallnetbuilder is about the wndr3700v1 but it shows the overal performance of that router. its a bit older and dated router that was originally released in 2009. Even though its rated gigabit, I don't think you're going to get close to maxing out the connection because of the aging processor in the wndr3700v4. Granted the v4 has had some update from v1 but I'd still look at a newer router if you're going to run gigabit. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. Check your cable. a cat5 cable isn't going to hit gigabit speeds.

2. Since your update, have you reset/reinstalled the router? Never a bad idea on a plan change

3. Try changing ethernet ports. maybe you've got a bad one.

Personally? I'd look at a router upgrade if you're going to be running gigabit. This review from smallnetbuilder is about the wndr3700v1 but it shows the overal performance of that router. its a bit older and dated router that was originally released in 2009. Even though its rated gigabit, I don't think you're going to get close to maxing out the connection because of the aging processor in the wndr3700v4. Granted the v4 has had some update from v1 but I'd still look at a newer router if you're going to run gigabit. 

Message 2 of 5
JCB72
Guide

Plemans, Thank you for your quick reply.

I think I will take your advice and just upgrade my router instead of trying to make my current one hit gigabit speeds by tinkerning with cables, ports, etc. 

I can get a NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) from Amazon for $68.00 shipped.

Would this suffice for what I need or should I go with something better for future proofing?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@JCB72 wrote:

Plemans, Thank you for your quick reply.

I think I will take your advice and just upgrade my router instead of trying to make my current one hit gigabit speeds by tinkerning with cables, ports, etc. 

I can get a NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) from Amazon for $68.00 shipped.

Would this suffice for what I need or should I go with something better for future proofing?

That's a tough one for me to say. 

How much area are you looking at covering? (house size)

How many devices do you want to support?

do you stream with many devices at a time? The newer AX spec allows more concurrent wireless streaming. 

I tend to go overkill but its because I'm a bit of a nerd and my house is oversaturated in wireless which is why its hard for me to say. Each person has different needs. If you go to https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/   it lets you choose features that you want and filter by that. I'd filter it down to several devices and then check reviews on smallnetbuilder as they're great for performance reviews and then I'd check amazon for user reviews. these are good for a reliability check. 

Message 4 of 5
JCB72
Guide

I just pulled the trigger on a NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000).

A little pricy but I am a firm believer in futureproofing.

I dont want to buy something cheap than have to upgrade in a year or so to something better.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7