Port Forwarding Issue - Can't access NAS

Peje1873
Aspirant

Port Forwarding Issue - Can't access NAS

I've been using a DNS-320 NAS Drive for about 6 months now with a BT HomeHub, I had forwarded port 21 for FTP and port 443 for HTTPS access which worked 100%.

I installed a WNDR4500 today and setup the same port forwarding settings, static IP to the NAS and forwarded the same ports to it as with the previous router, but for some reason the connection stops at the router. I have tried using various different ports without any success.

I tried the FTP through FileZilla and it shows the problem is at the router, could this be a clash with the readyshare facility in the router? I haven't got any USB devices plugged in but in the advanced settings it lists this feature as being able to use the same ports (I havent clicked them to enable)

Any help would be much appreiated,
Pete
Message 1 of 24
fordem
Mentor

Re: Port Forwarding Issue - Can't access NAS

Some quesions for you - I haven't used the exact combination you have, but I have something close - a DNS-323 with a Netgear FVS338.

Q1 - Was there a change in network address when you changed the router (the a.b.c portion of the ip address)?

Q2 - Are you using a static address or a DHCP reservation (did you set the address in the router or the NAS)?

Q3 - If it's a static address, is the default gateway entry on the NAS set correctly?

Q4 - Presumably there is a modem in front of the WNDR4500 - is it a modem/router or a modem?

If it's a modem/router it needs to be in bridged more - you can check this by looking at the WNDR4500's admin page to see if the WAN address shown is a private address.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 24
jeps
Novice

You could try and disable the "Portscan and DOS" detection feature.
I have really bad experinces with this feature.

If this feature decides that connections on the port is a portscan, it disables the portforward for that port. So you end up with a closed port and the only solution is a reboot of the router.
Message 3 of 24
TwoOneOh
Aspirant

I actually have the same setup as you OP only difference is a slightly different model NAS. How do you have the DNS connected to the WNDR4500? via USB or Ethernet? Here's my setup: I have a DNS-321 connected via ethernet with IP address reservation for the NAS using the MAC Address of the DNS-321. I also have enabled Port forwarding for Application "FTP" using start port 20 and end port 21 which are the default port values by the way. I haven't encountered any conflicts with the ReadyShare, although i don't use either. All you should need to do is confirm that the DNS-320 has the same IP address as the IP you reserved in the router config by logging into the DNS-320 config and looking at the lan settings. Ensure the IPs and Subnets match, then input the router's IP as Gateway and you should be good to go.
Message 4 of 24
Peje1873
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
Some quesions for you - I haven't used the exact combination you have, but I have something close - a DNS-323 with a Netgear FVS338.

Q1 - Was there a change in network address when you changed the router (the a.b.c portion of the ip address)? No it stayed the same

Q2 - Are you using a static address or a DHCP reservation (did you set the address in the router or the NAS)? Yes I set it up to be the same as the previous router

Q3 - If it's a static address, is the default gateway entry on the NAS set correctly? Didn't check

Q4 - Presumably there is a modem in front of the WNDR4500 - is it a modem/router or a modem? It is the BT Openreach modem.

If it's a modem/router it needs to be in bridged more - you can check this by looking at the WNDR4500's admin page to see if the WAN address shown is a private address.

I spent two hours on the phone with Netgear/Gearheads who have accepted there is something faulty in the router so it's getting replaced. When setting up the replacement router I will strip all switches out and add one device at a time. If this fails I will put the Netgear router into AP mode and let my BT router do the grunt work and the Netgear can manage the wireless
Message 5 of 24
Peje1873
Aspirant

Just a quick update...

My new router arrived this morning and unfortunately it still isnt working. It must be a clash with my NAS drive, I'm off on honeymoon in the morning so for now I've just put it in Access Point mode which lets me use the 5GHz wireless (the main reason I bought the router).

Very disappointed with the number of features I've lost but this is life, at least I've gained better bandwidth to the laptop in the bedroom 🙂

Thanks for all you replies, they were greatly appreciated.

Pete
Message 6 of 24
fordem
Mentor

Congrats to you & your bride - let us know when you can work on the problem and we'll take another look at it.

Message 7 of 24
plnash
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Been using a D-Link DIR655 for several years with port forwarding to my NAS with NO ISSUES. Installed the WNDR4500 this past weekend and configured all the port forwarding required but I can't access anything on the NAS. Using ShieldsUP! at grc.com, it shows that everything is blocked. I've checked Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection, checked Disable IGMP Proxying, and set NAT filtering to Open and nothing helped. Also installed firmware V1.0.1.6_1.0.24 last night.

Nothing in my network has changed except routers. What more can I do other than send the WNDR4500 back for a refund. I have read about lots of problems with this router.
Message 8 of 24
billshih1975
Aspirant

perhaps you can list what config setting you make, then we can give you some idea..
Message 9 of 24
plnash
Aspirant

I found my problem and it's not the router; it was a configuration problem with my AT&T 2WIRE modem/router. It was still configured to rout all traffic to the previously connected D-Link router (DMZplus mode). When I disconnected the D-LINK and connected the WNDR4500, the WNDR4500 got an internal address from the 2WIRE's DHCP instead of the outside address. Changing the DMZ target in the 2WIRE to the WNDR4500 fixed the problem. Port forwarding in the WNDR4500 appears to be working. Hope this helps other that have the same type of configuration.
Message 10 of 24
fordem
Mentor

What you should really be doing is placing the 2Wire in bridge mode - that would solve the problem once and for all - multiple routers in a network is just asking for trouble, sure they are workarounds (I've done what you've done in the past), but sooner or later, they come back and bite you.

Message 11 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

2wire must be in bridge mode....
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 24
plnash
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
What you should really be doing is placing the 2Wire in bridge mode - that would solve the problem once and for all - multiple routers in a network is just asking for trouble, sure they are workarounds (I've done what you've done in the past), but sooner or later, they come back and bite you.

I'll try that. Thanks.
Message 13 of 24
plnash
Aspirant

fordem wrote:

The AT&T U-verse 2Wire model I have doesn't have a bridge mode. Apparently, the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line doesn't have this option - older models did? My only option is the one I was already using: route all traffic to my Netgear using the 2Wire's DMZplus feature. I disabled the wireless on the 2Wire and everything seems to work just fine. It's like the 2Wire isn't even there to all the devices on my network.

SomeJoe7777 has detailed steps to take on the 2Wire I have here: http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...
Message 14 of 24
plnash
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
2wire must be in bridge mode....

"must" implies that it won't work any other way. That's not true. My 2Wire model doesn't have a bridge mode. DMZplus is what I have to use.
Message 15 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

some of the voice and data unit can not put in bridge mode. I never had onsite call for these unit even I do lots work install for ATT

you need to put 4500 as AP mode instead of DMZ. port forwarding will stall fail
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 24
plnash
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
some of the voice and data unit can not put in bridge mode. I never had onsite call for these unit even I do lots work install for ATT

you need to put 4500 as AP mode instead of DMZ. port forwarding will stall fail

It's all working for me. The required ports to access my Synology NAS are working and I set up another port to access my security camera which is on a different internal IP. I definitely did not enable DMZ in the Netgear. All is well.
Message 17 of 24
Mikedt
Aspirant

I just joined this forum because I am having a similar difficulty with my NAS. I have a Netgear WDNR3400 router wired to my desktop and use wireless with my laptop. I added a D-Link DNS-320 wired to the router and can read/write to it from either computer. My problem is connecting to the NAS remotely by internet from outside of the network. I set up an account with D-Link's DNS service, followed the instructions with the router and NAS, but still can't get connected. I can usually follow instructions or find an answer online, but I've hit the point of information overload, some of it conflicting, and need to be pointed where to look. My first guess is I don't have the port forwarding set correctly. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've had great luck with other forums and hope to find the same here.

Message 18 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Make sure WAN of the router has public ip
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 19 of 24
fordem
Mentor

Mikedt wrote:

I just joined this forum because I am having a similar difficulty with my NAS. I have a Netgear WDNR3400 router wired to my desktop and use wireless with my laptop. I added a D-Link DNS-320 wired to the router and can read/write to it from either computer. My problem is connecting to the NAS remotely by internet from outside of the network. I set up an account with D-Link's DNS service, followed the instructions with the router and NAS, but still can't get connected. I can usually follow instructions or find an answer online, but I've hit the point of information overload, some of it conflicting, and need to be pointed where to look. My first guess is I don't have the port forwarding set correctly. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've had great luck with other forums and hope to find the same here.

What protocols are you using to access the NAS remotely - as far as I know your only choice for remote access with the DNS-320 is ftp, and setting the DNS-320 up for ftp access is not that straight forward.

What ftp client are you using and what error(s) do you get when you try to access the NAS.

Message 20 of 24
Cken23
Aspirant

the problem for me is that i cannot whatsoever click on many options, its blocked off as grey.

i would like to know if there is a way to enable WAN PORT forwarding and others thanks!

Message 21 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Cken23 Perhaps your device is configured as Access Point.

If it's in AP mode, the features will be limited.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 22 of 24
Cken23
Aspirant

i have an arris modem/router from time warner i didnt like that it was cutting off my speeds so i decided to buy the netgear AC1750 R6400 model.

I had to turn off the wireless 2.4 and 5 to use my new netgear router. could that be the cause? and do i need to turn anything else off on the arris modem/router.

Message 23 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Cken23,

Please make sure that the NETGEAR R6400 is not set to Wireless AP mode. You can check it by accessing the device UI and under Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP. Make sure it is not enabled or checked.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E