Port Lights do not Blink!

bobiii
Tutor

Port Lights do not Blink!

I just got mine today and has been upgraded to the latest firmware. Everything is great but I noticed that I don't see any activity with the lights. They just stay on and never blink like my wndr3700 did. Any comments???
Message 1 of 29
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Port Lights do not Blink!

Since you flashed the firmware , hard reset router and check again.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would reset if no change call support.
Message 3 of 29
kargo27
Novice

bobiii wrote:
I just got mine today and has been upgraded to the latest firmware. Everything is great but I noticed that I don't see any activity with the lights. They just stay on and never blink like my wndr3700 did. Any comments???

Mine don't blink either, but I'm ok with it. :cool:
Message 4 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I read the manual and it mentioned lights staying on as being a problem but was not clear on the lan ports.
Message 5 of 29
bobiii
Tutor

jmizoguchi wrote:
Since you flashed the firmware , hard reset router and check again.

How do I hard reset. I unplugged it and left it off for about 30 seconds, plugged it back in and the results are the same, the lights do not flash with activity.
Message 6 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It should be in the manual. Not all routers are the same. reset is another term used.
Message 7 of 29
bobiii
Tutor

I reflashed with the latest and reloaded my settings -- no go. lights still do not flash with the latest rev. The only light that does flash is the usb activity light.
Message 8 of 29
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

seem port lights iid could be just the way the unit are design been one user posted the same way..

to think of it , 4300 I have the same way...

people complaining about the blinking light because they can't sleep "BS" so netgear start to stop blinking anymore.. lol

and this unit has RESET BUTTON so it will no different than other models

10sec hold will do
otherwise see router reset on my sig below for other procedure but I think reset may not need it at this time
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 29
bobiii
Tutor

It would be nice if netgear would give us the option. The linksys e4200 has an option to turn the leds next to each port. I like to see my leds flashing so I know things are working.
Message 10 of 29
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Network genie at last has traffic meter so you use as replacement

I use 4300 as AP and my layer two switch will do the job so I never really paying attention ..Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 29
bobiii
Tutor

According to the manual, the leds only tell you what speed you are connected at and if off that there's no connection. It doesn't say anything about blinking. I guess they saved 5 cents on each unit by doing so.

Only mentions that the usb leds do blink when transferring data.
Message 12 of 29
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

They did not save cents on LED since those just LED . Either other chipset is not design with it or firmware just not letting blink

I would contact support before you spend time.
Request for future enhancement..Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 29
Paul1973
Aspirant

3800 is the same Smiley Sad
Message 14 of 29
ProphetSix
Aspirant

Same here...I don't think it's a problem. I've updated the firmware, and hard reset the router, the lights just stay on. Router works fine, so I think they just made it that way.
Message 15 of 29
Millerszone
Aspirant

No LED's blink with latest firmware (V1.0.0.58_1.0.13)
I would've at least like to see the WiFi lights blink when activity.

I went from a WNDR3700 to this WNDR4500 and so far so good.
Testing the computer farthest(approx. 60ft with a couple of walls) from the
router(G: 2.4Ghz):
WNDR3700: 2 bars(18-24Mbps)
WNDR4500: 4-5 bars(54Mbps)
Genie Dashboard is nice.

Ill do more test after I update the computers WiFi cards 5Ghz.
Message 16 of 29
reev3r
Aspirant

I know I am a little bit late to the party on this one...

I just wanted to point out that when I first got the router the LED's did in fact blink with activity, USB, WiFi and Ethernet ports would all blink with activity. After upgrading the firmware from .58 to .70 the lights stopped blinking. After resetting the device to factory while using the .70 firmware, they started blinking again, but then after modifying some settings they again stopped.

I recently upgraded to the 1.0.1.6 firmware and they did blink for a few days, but after a simple power cycle, they again stopped. I have not tried a factory reset with this firmware and I doubt that I will, but I just wanted to point out that the lights are indeed supposed to be activity lights, and not just connectivity lights. It is my belief that there is some sort of flaw in the firmware, whether Netgear is aware of this or not remains to be seen.

I do intend to contact their technical support with this issue, as to me, it is indeed an issue, I have never owned a router/switch/hub or any other networking device that did not display activity, as this is a crucial part of the troubleshooting process.

I do intend to post back with any information received from Netgear regarding a solution, or if they are working on a fix to the problem.
Message 17 of 29
HieuDo
Aspirant

kargo27 wrote:
Mine don't blink either, but I'm ok with it. :cool:

Mine too, but I am okSmiley Happy
Message 18 of 29
billshih1975
Aspirant

just check UM (page 10), the LAN port led won't blink..
Message 19 of 29
reev3r
Aspirant

Unfortunately my manual is nowhere to be found, and it had never occurred to me that disabling the activity lights on such an expensive device would even be considered by Netgear. Being that this device is the main wireless router here I need to be able to check activity when there are problems, sadly the only way for me to be able to do this now is to go to the computer in question and check there.

My confusion comes from the fact that the lights have been active in the past, and why they stopped working is a mystery to me.

Regardless, I did get in touch with Netgear technical support, and they have forwarded my query to an engineer in hopes that there is a developer firmware that will have activity lights... Er.. Active..

However, due to this ridiculous oversight on the part of Netgear, if there is no way for me to have activity lights, the router is going back, and I will revert to the three Linksys routers I was using... It just blows my mind that a $200 router would not have activity lights, or at least the option to enable/disable them if they were looking to have them always on by default... I mean, how many average-Joe home users are buying this device? The people that are spending this much on a router are mostly going to be, at minimum, geeks, and in many cases I suspect IT professionals.

In any case, my $75 Linksys routers have more options in the end than does this device, namely the simple things, like being able to kick an unauthorized user, or boot someone that is getting crazy with excessive bandwidth... Netgear, not a chance...

Then there is the USB transfer speeds, do not even get me started on that...

The range, amazing, and that is one of the primary reasons I made the purchase, but without activity lights, to me it is a very expensive paperweight.

Alright, my rant is done... Sorry for griping to all of you, just needed to let it all out... Smiley Happy

~Jacob
Message 20 of 29
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

it had never occurred to me that disabling the activity lights on such an expensive device would even be considered by Netgear.

blame on rest of user who think blinking light is annoying and can not sleep with led blinking.

for this, netgear has changed recently.. it was not consumer to blame who has no idea on activity light can help an issues Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 21 of 29
Chuck_s
Aspirant

+1 on the annoying blinking lights. Smiley Happy Been trying to stop my Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 connection LED from blinking, but there's no work around for them. The WNDR4500's LEDs stay stable.

A software switch for those who like the blinking would be nice though.

Worst were the blue "UFO lights" on top of my original WNDR3400 from a couple of years ago, but they could be turned off.

-- Chuck
Message 22 of 29
reev3r
Aspirant

I can completely understand the hatred for the blinking lights, but ultimately, you can position the router so that you do not have to see them, especially with this device and the way the LED's and the clear plastic 'wall' are positioned, sadly no matter how I position the device the lights just do not start blinking... Smiley Very Happy

Maybe if we all let Netgear know about the need for a software setting to enable/disable the activity of the lights they would implement such a feature, as I am very, very confident it is just a piece of code in the firmware somewhere and not some physical limitation of the hardware, because that would just be... Well, about as absurd as disabling the activity lights in the first place...

~Jacob
Message 23 of 29
Goob
Guide

For stuff in a communications closet, the blinking lights are useful and not distracting. But many of these consumer grade routers are going in living rooms and studio apartments. As such I am kinda glad to see the blinking has been done away with.

Interesting compromise - my latest modem also has front LEDs that don't blink. As an addition it does have blinking port activity lights on the back of the unit.
Message 24 of 29
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

I like the blinking lights myself as a rough indicator it is working - and, actually, I think it is pleasing to look at. But what good are lights in the back where you can't see them because of the ugly cables?
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E