× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 2000 + wifi extender

cjgear26
Follower

Powerline 2000 + wifi extender

Hello. I have a Powerline 2000 installed so that the internet connection is running through the electrical system. I'm wanting to add one of the units with the antenna so that one of the member in my family can plug into an outlet upstairs and have a 'mini' wifi area in their bedroom. Am I able to puchase a Netgear unit that will plug into the wall and take the internet connection from the electrical system and turn it into a wifi? If, so which item do I need to purchase? And, will it automatically work with my existing Powerline 2000? 

Thanks, 

Chris

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 3

Re: Powerline 2000 + wifi extender

@cjgear26 wrote:

Am I able to puchase a Netgear unit that will plug into the wall and take the internet connection from the electrical system and turn it into a wifi?

Any wireless access point/wifi extender, regardless of the maker, can feed off the Ethernet connection from a Powerline plug.

I currently run an Orbi router (in AP) mode from the end of a PL1000 network.

The Powerline network is effectively the same as running an Ethernet cable from place to place.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Powerline 2000 + wifi extender

You can. the PLP2000 uses homeplug AV2 standards. So any homeplug AV2 device would work with it. 

Just keep in mind, home plug devices will use the speed of the lowest performing device. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7