× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline and wifi extender - wifi naming?

Acrobat
Aspirant

Powerline and wifi extender - wifi naming?

Hi, I have an Netgear PL1000 v2 with the additonal adapter to extend my wifi range to a distant plug so I can have internet there.

I have an existing Huawei B315 modem (giving a good wifi signal) that I have plugged the main (first) netgear device into via the internet cable between the two. I have the extender device plugged into wall socket elswhere.

My issue is, I have the existing wifi signal named xxxx from the original modem and works well except the fall off to any distant usage on my ipad/iphone/internet radio device. Hence my purchase of Netgears equipment.

I get both the original wifi signal called xxxx and the new netgear pl10000 v2 device signal displayed as Netgear54yyyy. (It did in fact display two netgear names, Netgear 54yyy_5G and Netgear54yyyy but no longer shows the 5g version now for whatever reason). But get no internet on the adapter placed further away. Do I need to change the name of the netgearyyyy wifi to match the existing signal xxxx? I was under the impression it woud boost my original signal and extend it rather than replacing it. It woud be preferable to use the existing wifi name to save furtherr device login issues later.

Manual does not state anywhere about naming new wifi signal to match existing so am unsure if this is my issue regarding lack of internet on the extender device. It gets the wifi signal no problem.

Any advice appreciated. I have replugged, reset, and even tried the Netgear genie app to no avail. It does not let me login. Not sure if I need the login of the orig router name and password or the netgears name and password to adjust/set any settings in the app? Ive tried both but wont get past login screen.

Sorry I am not techy at all and at as loss as to what to do.

Hours yesterday wasted and frankly at the end of my patience and considering tossing it out the damn window, so any help please would be much appreciated. I am using a Mac computer, phone and ipad if thats the issue?

Thanks in advance

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Powerline and wifi extender - wifi naming?

PL1000 Powerline User Manual p.18 

===

Customize Your Network Settings (PLW Models)

You can use a web browser–based setup guide as a simple way to customize the WiFi settings of your PowerLINE access point.
Before changing your network settings, connect using the default settings. For information see either Connect to the PowerLINE Access Point on page 18, or Use WPS to Connect to Your Network (PLW Models) on page 18.

To change your settings:
1. With your WiFi–enabled computer or WiFi device connected to your WiFi network, open a web browswer
window.
2. Navigate to the following address: www.mywifiext.net.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the router name and password:
User name: admin
Password: password
The user name and password are case-sensitive.
4. Record the new SSID and key.

===

Message 2 of 5
Acrobat
Aspirant

Hi, I have tried to login to mywifiext.net via the safari web browser but to no avail. I get netgears page telling me I am not connected to my extenders wifi. ( even though it’s the wifi I have selected on my Mac comp).
I have also tried the Mac OS address mywifiext.local but all I get is a blank page. The extender has the wifi name and password on it so I know what it is but what do I do to get internet access on the extender? Do I need to change the wifi name to match my existing routers wifi?
Message 3 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Acrobat

Let us make sure first that the powerline adapter has Internet access. Please describe the LED status of the powerline adapter. 

You mentioned that the computer is connected to the powerline network, kindly check if it has a valid IP address. Please try accessing the IP address. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Acrobat

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7