• 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Printer keeps disappearing from network

I have a Brother printer wired into the router and it works fine when it works. Every so often, it goes "offline" and I have to go to Devices and Printers (Windows 7) and delete the printer and then add it back. I have read (somewhere) that this is caused by the router resetting the IP address of the printer.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Printer keeps disappearing from network

danj22 wrote:
I have read (somewhere) that this is caused by the router resetting the IP address of the printer.

Ask where you read the above.

In my opinion that is hogwash.

You could try setting a static address on the printer - that way the router can't "reset" the printer's address.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

danj22 wrote:
I have a Brother printer wired into the router and it works fine when it works. Every so often, it goes "offline" and I have to go to Devices and Printers (Windows 7) and delete the printer and then add it back. I have read (somewhere) that this is caused by the router resetting the IP address of the printer.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you are not using the Guest Login accounts on your router as they do not allow access to your local network that the printer is on.
Check to see if you are loging into one of the guess logins under your wifi connection for each computer you are trying to use the printer on.

Guest accounts only allow access to the internet, this is why it is not working.
Your computer will randomly pick which one to use "if you have ever logged into more then one of your routers wifi accounts" unless you tell it not to in the connection settings for your computer, by making one of the non guest account a priority connection and the guest accounts as a fall back.
When looking at your wifi connection do you see the word guest in it?
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies. Sorry it's taken a while to get back.

No, I'm not using a guest account. I have used them before, but only for testing to make sure they would work for actual guests. I am definitely not logged in to the guest account on a regular basis. Wouldn't want to do it because, like you said JRoc, I couldn't print from that account.

fordem--
How do I assign it a static IP address. I've looked in the manual and don't see anything about how to assign a static IP address to a printer.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Mentor

It has to be done on the printer so get hold of Brother tech support

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 5 of 5