Highlighted
Aspirant

Printer keeps disappearing?

Backstory: I've had my WNDR4500 for almost a year with pretty much zero issues. Up until Friday it was only running as an AP though. I decided to switch things up and use the 4500 as my main router and my old lynksys as the AP. I mainly did this so I could utilize the guest network and maybe the usb device sharing (haven't set that up yet) etc.

So, I've been adding my devices back to my network. I added my printer but now I keep getting a "Scan to computer is no longer available...." on my PC. It's saying it has lost communication with my wireless printer. the printer is about 8 ft. from the router in the same room so it's not a distance issue. I can ping the printer also. Just can't print to it.

The printer is an HP deskjet 3510 if that matters. Never had one issue with it when the router was 2 rooms away.
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Novice

Re: Printer keeps disappearing?

try this

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Printer keeps disappearing?

Thank you onebyside.

I actually did exactly what you described a few day s ago. Right down to the DNS. The next day I had an issue and re-added it. But since then I haven't had a problem (crossing fingers).

So, we'll see.

It just seems since I moved the router and upgraded firmware I have had some issues. I contemplate on moving it back or just getting a different router. This was my first netgear and although I can't say I'm dissatisfied, I am not quite satisfied with some of its behavior.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements