× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printer won't connect

Howard16
Aspirant

Printer won't connect

Time Warner gave me a new modem and now I can't connect my Brother wireless printer to the network. The router is wired to my destop and I can't logon to it (IP 192.168.1.1) from the desktop. However, I can logon from my devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop). If I enter IP 192.168.0.1, it opens my cable modem.

Brother said I need to reset the printer network card. They told me to connect an ethernet cable from the printer to the router, get an IP address for the printer, open a browser, enter the IP address and press enter. I got a valid IP address (192.168.1.6), but the Brother Web Management screen will not open. IE9 says it cannot display the page and Firefox Mozilla says it timed out. Brother says the printer is working the way it should. The problem is in the router.

My printer IP Gateway is 192.168.1.1.

Is there a way to get the printer connected?

Howard

P.S. I'm running Vista. Old computer and old router. Probably time to get a new computer.

Model: WNDR3300v1|RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Howard16
Aspirant

Re: Printer won't connect

Elaine,

Thanks for your reply. I have resolved this. For whatever reason, my network will not recognize my printer from my desktop. I connected a USB cable from the desktop to the printer and it prints. My network does recognize my printer from my laptop. My printer does print wirelessly from my laptop. That my desktop is eight years old probably has something to do with it.

Howard

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies

@Howard16 wrote:

Time Warner gave me a new modem and now I can't connect my Brother wireless printer to the network.

If it was the new modem that broke things, maybe that is where you need to look for solutions.

What is the modem? Is it also trying to act like a router?

Have you been through the troubleshooting steps on page 21 of the setup guide?

WNDR3300v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

You might also want to tell people about the printer. Someone may have one and can provide informed guidance on where to look.

Message 2 of 10
Howard16
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. The modem is a Ubee.

I have not been through the trouble shooting steps. I will do that.

Howard

Message 3 of 10

And the printer model?

Message 4 of 10
Howard16
Aspirant

Sorry.

Brother HL-2270DW

Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like your printer is capable of wireless connection.

Are all your computers connected to the internet?

If it does, all you have to do is to connect this printer to the wireless network.

Make sure that you have the correct name to connect to and the wireless password.

Message 6 of 10
Howard16
Aspirant

Well, it's partially resolved.

My modem (Ubee) and router (Netgear) are wired to my desktop. Following the instructions from Brother, I attached an ethernet cable from the printer to the router and obtained a valid IP address. I opened a browser from my desktop and entered the IP address. The Brother Web Management screen would not open. However, I went downstairs and entered the IP address in a browser from my laptop (wireless) and the Web Management screen opened right up. I followed the instructions and my printer now works wirelessly from my laptop.

The printer will not work from my desktop. I get a printer error message. Also, I cannot access my router (IP address 192.168.1.1) from my desktop, but I can from my laptop.

Do you have any ideas about why I can't get the printer to connect from my desktop? I guess it has to do with the new cable modem Time Warner gave me.

Thanks,

Howard

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like a desktop problem.

What's the IP address of your desktop computer?

Is the desktop directly connected to the router using ethernet cable or this is also running wirelessly?

The reason why you cannot access the admin page of the router is that the desktop might not have the correct range of IP address.

Message 8 of 10
Howard16
Aspirant

Elaine,

Thanks for your reply. I have resolved this. For whatever reason, my network will not recognize my printer from my desktop. I connected a USB cable from the desktop to the printer and it prints. My network does recognize my printer from my laptop. My printer does print wirelessly from my laptop. That my desktop is eight years old probably has something to do with it.

Howard

Message 9 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

Manually aissign a fixed ip address for the printer. And set up the printer again. And every device whcih wants to print should have the

printer driver installed.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7