× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Printers cannot connect to WAX610

CCI_B
Initiate

Printers cannot connect to WAX610

I installed a new WAX610 and I have a Brother HL-3170 printer and a HP 5740 that I'm trying to connect to the wireless network. Both devices can see all other WiFi access points except this WAX610. I tried changing the channels to 8, 6, 7, 11 with no luck. Help please.

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Printers cannot connect to WAX610

If you disable wireless AX, does it work? Some older devices had/have issues with the upgrade to AX. They shouldn't because its supposed to be backwards compatible but it does happen

Message 2 of 7

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. Beyond fixing a printer to a particular IP address, there isn't much that you can do on a router that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

Then there is this:

Installing HP wireless printer software | Wireless Printing Center | HP® United Kingdom

Message 3 of 7
CCI_B
Initiate

I tried that and it didn't work. I finally found the solution and its due to the 802.11w (PMF) mandatory use. I switched it to optional as some printers do not use this protocol. 

The annoying part was NETGEAR support who were not welling to provide any help unless I purchase a support package!! They are not even willing to hear the problem!! So Its a big question if I will ever buy NETGEAR products again.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@CCI_B wrote:

I finally found the solution and its due to the 802.11w (PMF) mandatory use.

Excellent. One of the ubiquitous trial-and-error features to disable on wireless compatibility issues - that's the risk being on top of the technology and security features while operating legacy wireless devices.

Have you contacted the printer vendor and complained that these devices don't support 802.11w (PMF), ideally along with WPA3 while talking, and asked for support why _their_ crappy WiFi client does not connect to a decent 2021 WiFi 6 small business system?

@CCI_B wrote:

The annoying part was NETGEAR support who were not welling to provide any help unless I purchase a support package!! They are not even willing to hear the problem!!

We talk of a single USD 150 WiFi 6 AP here, it's coming with technical support (online, phone) 90 days free from date of purchase. If this isn't honored you are allowed to complain. Or should you had contaced some Scam Mafia support provider instead? 

We do not talk of a >750 USD AP coming without any support unless you buy additional licenses (to operate and manage it) and service contracts (to get access to updates and support). It's a question of the total cost of ownership. As the former US president told us once: There is nothing like a free lunch: Somebody will pay for it.

Message 5 of 7

@schumaku wrote:

... some Scam Mafia support provider

I love it.  Nice description. Scam mafia sums it up. Why doesn't Netgear do more to squelch these crooks? We see too much evidence here of these crook.

I chip in only to add that people like @schumaku are mad because they, and others, happily spend time offering free support here that is almost certainly better informed than some of the script jockeys that Netgear pays for and less dangerous than the scam mafia.

Message 6 of 7
Humusle
Initiate

Go to Network and Sharing Center, left hand side, advanced sharing settings, and make sure network discovery is enabled on for the network profile you're on (public, work/home, domain, etc.). Windows gets confused occasionally and recognises a network as public, and by default, that stuff is turned off, and it can't find/connect to network resources.

Also, if you're using any third-party firewall solutions, double-check your firewall settings to make sure it's not being blocked. Also, if you added it using the add device wizard from the devices and printers screen, you're probably using the WSD port that Windows creates by default for those types of devices... I'd go into the print server properties on your machine and add a standard TCP/IP port with the printer's IP address and change the printer's configuration to use that port as well.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements