Private Wireless N Network off Landlord's Router

JRSurf
Aspirant

Private Wireless N Network off Landlord's Router

Hoping someone can help. First of all, i'm a networking idiot but can follow directions.

OK, my landloard is running a dual band D-Link DIR-825 router off a COX cable modem for internet access. The router is in my unit but i'm not the only one using it in the complex. I have been able to access the router's setup page and here are the settings:
MAC: prob not important
IP:192.168.0.1
subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: Enabled
DHCP range 192.168.0.100 - .199
(but i don't think i can change anything on the landlord's router... unless of course it wont disrupt the other users)

I have the WNDR3700 and i want to run my router off the landlord's router to get internet access and have my own, private secure network (so i can attach my NAS hard drive, TIvo, Laptop (wirelessly), etc). From what i've read on line so far i need to connect a LAN port on his router to the WAN (Internet) port on my router; understanding that i will have visibility down to his network, but other tenants will not have visibility up to my network. i've seen some instructions on other forums, none of them are consistent, and they were all for other brands, so... i'm lost.

Any help you can provide with explicit instrucitons would be greatly appriciated.
Message 1 of 16
jlewter
Guide

Re: Private Wireless N Network off Landlord's Router

Yes, what your saying is correct, you need to either do that or buy a wireless bridge, but that will be slow. Take note that being behind someone elses router may be find for web browsing, emails, streaming media, and other such common task. Hosting games, hosting web servers, VoIP (skype/vonage) , and some other applications may suffer because of the double nat.

Unless your living in the same actual housing unit then it's probably a violation of the ISP to do what your wanting too.
Message 2 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

since you are taping off the someone's network. get extender such as wn2000rpt, wn2500rpt instead of using 3700
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

@jlewter: I think that Skype will work, but there will be issues with some port forwarding. It might be necessary to port forward the NAS's ports on both the Landlord's router & JRSurf's router.

For example: NAS set to use port 9000-9200. Local IP Address: 192.168.10.50. WNDR3700 Router address on Landlord's router: 192.168.0.200

WNDR3700 has port forward: ports 9000-9200 to 192.168.10.50
Landlord's router has port forward 9000-9200 to 192.168.0.200

Xbox & PS3s have problems with port forwarding at the best of times. Placing the WNDR3700's address on the Landlord's router would not be a good idea IMHO as anyone else using port forwarding would suffer.

Of course all this port forwarding assumes that JRSurf wants to access the NAS from outside the network. Also, provided that they have suitable access, anyone on the Landlord's LAN could access the NAS by using the IP Address 192.168.0.200 and the correct port number. However DLNA would not work.
Message 4 of 16
Simon0
Novice

In order to ideally run it in a protected fashion, you need two routers... one in client-bridge and the other in regular router mode. Also see if you can ask the landlord to put your IP in its DMZ... else voip will have issues.... In order to be fire-walled using a single router... running the single router in "client-mode" will also give you the added benefit of a firewall... I recommend avoid using virtual APs... use an additional "real" router if you need local wireless access since you've... certain 3rd party firmware may allow you to client-bridge the 2.4 radio to your landlord & use the 5GHz radio for local access....

Good luck...
Message 5 of 16
JRSurf
Aspirant

thanks for the info, but like i said, i know nothing about networks/routers/etc. other than to follow the directions to set one up out of the box. So... i haven't the foggiest idea what any of you are talking about, but thanks just the same.

i already have the 3700. i do not skype, host games, etc. just email and internet surfing for outside use. the NAS also i do not need to access outside the network. and i do not host a server. I want to use the 5G wireless for laptop, but wired connection for Tivo, NAS, blueray...

Cable and internet are included in the rent, so as long as i'm just extending off pre-paid service, service that i would use just the same on the current landlord router, i don't see any legal issues.

So, what i'm looking for on the 3700 (given the landlord settings in my orig post) is the IP, subnet mast, def gateway, DNS for both the WAN side and LAN side of the router. Any help specific to the 3700 w/ detailed steps would be greatly appreciated....
Message 6 of 16
jlewter
Guide

Going by what you say then it sounds like you should be fine to simply plug in a ethernet cord from one of his LAN ports, to your WAN port.

Other than that all you need to do is configure your wireless security, the way the 3700 is set up by default shouldnt require any configuration to work straight out of the box on this type of configuration.
Message 7 of 16
JRSurf
Aspirant

...so, if the landlord router has DHCP enabled, and i have DHCP enabled there will be no conflict? i think right now both our routers use IP 192.168.0.1 as the default on the LAN side.
Message 8 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you setup your own router LAN to LAN connection them you can not enable DHCP on 3700

If you use using Internet port(double NAT) then make sure internet port (land lord dhcp subnet) and your router LAN DHCP is NOT same
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 16
jlewter
Guide

JRSurf wrote:
...so, if the landlord router has DHCP enabled, and i have DHCP enabled there will be no conflict? i think right now both our routers use IP 192.168.0.1 as the default on the LAN side.

The default on the 3700 is 192.168.1.1 with a hostmask of 255.255.255.0 allowing the range of ip's
192.168.1.1 <-> 192.168.1.254

If his routers DHCP server is giving out an ip range the same as what your 3700 will use then no, it will not work. The 3700 would see this as a conflict and change your IP range to 10.x.x.x .

You need DHCP enabled as your going to use the "Lan" side of the router for your network.
Message 10 of 16
JRSurf
Aspirant

jlewter wrote:
The default on the 3700 is 192.168.1.1 with a hostmask of 255.255.255.0 allowing the range of ip's
192.168.1.1 <-> 192.168.1.254

If his routers DHCP server is giving out an ip range the same as what your 3700 will use then no, it will not work. The 3700 would see this as a conflict and change your IP range to 10.x.x.x .

You need DHCP enabled as your going to use the "Lan" side of the router for your network.
hey jlewter, thanks for being patient w/ me. i'm not smart with this stuff at all. I listed landlord router (router 1) settings in my orig post. Router 1 DHCP range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199. So, do i need to change anything on the 3700? or leave default? do i need to do anything w/ default gateway on my router (set to 192.168.0.1)? PS. agree you are correct on 3700 defaults and i haven't changed any of them.
Message 11 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if existing net work is 192.168.0.x

then 3700 can not be 192.168.0 if you use 3700 as router..

if you setup 3700 as AP mode then 3700 IP must be OUTSIDE of DHCP range of existing network.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 16
jlewter
Guide

JRSurf wrote:
hey jlewter, thanks for being patient w/ me. i'm not smart with this stuff at all. I listed landlord router (router 1) settings in my orig post. Router 1 DHCP range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199. So, do i need to change anything on the 3700? or leave default? do i need to do anything w/ default gateway on my router (set to 192.168.0.1)? PS. agree you are correct on 3700 defaults and i haven't changed any of them.

The gateway of 192.168.0.1 is okay as that's his Router.
Your 3700 will get a "internet" or "wan" IP of 192.168.0.100<->199
Your 3700 should have a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1, with a hostmask of 255.255.255.0
Your 3700 should have DHCP Enabled.
Message 13 of 16
JRSurf
Aspirant

jlewter, perfect... and clear. i'll give a shot after 4th holiday and see what happens. thanks again.
Message 14 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

As a suggestion, I would not use either 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx ranges. Both of these are popular and should you move and use the same setup on another setup, then Murphy's law suggests that you will have to redo everything again.

I would suggest that you use a number above 10 for the third group. This would give you an address range of 192.168.11.1-192.168.11.255, for example.

Before logging on to the router, use the Netgear reserved address:

http://www.routerlogin.net

You may need to type it as: routerlogin.net

I appreciate that you may be a little lost for now, but the settings for this are under the Advanced --> LAN Setup.

Under LAN TCP/IP Setup, change the 3rd group to the desired number.
Message 15 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you use behind the existing network and doing double nat. Using default LAN subnet 192.168.1.1(3700) will not effect 192.168.0.x (landlord side) if setup was router back to back (double nat)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements