× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem setting up WNR614 as Wifi Repeater / Range Extender

nkj79
Aspirant

Problem setting up WNR614 as Wifi Repeater / Range Extender

Hi,

I have a Wifi ADSL2+ Modem (Beetel 450tc1) which I use to connect to my computer. Recently I have purchased a new Netgear
WNR614 Wifi Router and want to use as a range extender. I connected the netgear repeater to wifi modem with cable and
another cable from netgear router to computer. It opened routerlogin.net at the start.

In documentation it mentions that I should use same SSID, same channel, encryption method and same password in netgear
router. As soon as I put the repeater on same channel, my computer stops opening routerlogin.net and it gives page not
found error.

Also when router starts it gives message that "To avoid a conflict with your Internet Service Provider, your router's IP
address has been updated to 10.0.0.1". My modem IP address is 192.168.1.1. So when I try to change netgear router ip
address to 192.168.1.2, it is giving me error "The ip address conflict with the WAN IP subnet. Please enter a different ip
address. Invalid DHCP starting IP address".

When I remove the Use Router as DHCP server, it gives me error - "The ip address conflict with the WAN IP subnet. Please
enter a different ip address".

When I try to enable "Enable Wireless Repeating Function", it gives me erorr - "The wireless repeating function cannot be
used with Auto Channel". But when I change the Auto Channel to the same channel as of my modem (channel 1), my computer
stops opening routerlogin.net and I can't access the netgear router config settings any more. The only option I left with
is resetting the router.

Please help me.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Ok, disconnect the WNR614 from everything, do a factory reset, then connect a PC to the LAN port and proceed to set it up again.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you're going to use a cable between them then you want a ( AP ) access point. Suggest you return it and by a device with AP mode.

Or follow this link

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-...

Message 2 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

Hi searay,

I am using the cable for just to setup the netgear router. At the end I don't want to use cable.

I cannot return that item, so could yo please help me in how to setup the netgear router as a wireless range extender.

Message 3 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You cannot use a cable to setup! As soon as you connect them both you cause DHCP problems. Try disabling dhcp first, then connect them. I honestly don't why you even need to connect them both for setup.

Message 4 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

Thanks searay for your help.

Actually, thats what the user guide says (to connect router to computer with wire.

I will try it do it without wire, with wifi only.

Message 5 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

You cannot use a cable to setup! As soon as you connect them both you cause DHCP problems. Try disabling dhcp first, then connect them. I honestly don't why you even need to connect them both for setup.

I just tried it, but without connecting the router to cabel, I cannot open routerlogin.net.

Message 6 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you're trying to setup 614 as a repeater I don't understand why you have to connect to the "router" beetel.

I would think the beetle continues on as it always had in the past. I would think ALL changes would be made in the 614 anything other than that doesn't make sense to me.

Good Luck!

Message 7 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

If you're trying to setup 614 as a repeater I don't understand why you have to connect to the "router" beetel.

I would think the beetle continues on as it always had in the past. I would think ALL changes would be made in the 614 anything other than that doesn't make sense to me.

Good Luck!

No no, I am not making any changes to beetel. I am trying to configure netgear only.

So should I connect Netgear to my computer with wire or without wire ?

Also, could I pls have any direct communication with you ? It would be very kind of you.

Message 8 of 18
TheEther
Guru

@nkj79

I advise you to not use the WNR614 as a wireless repeater / range extender.  Netgear routers have very poor support for wireless repeating.  The WNR614 uses an outdated method of repeating called WDS.  It is outdated because you must use WEP security, which is trivial to break (in as little as a few minutes by someone with the right tools), or no security at all on both the repeater AND the Beetel router.  Even if you don't mind using weak security, the Beetel may not support WDS.

If you still want to proceed, then I would suggest you start by doing a factory reset and then plug nothing into the router except for one computer via Ethernet into a LAN port.  The WNR614 will still be functioning as a router at this point, so you should be able to log in using routerlogin.net.  Set up the Wi-Fi, first.  Use the same channel, SSID and password as configured on the Beetel.  Again, you must use WEP or no security on both the WNR614 and the Beetel.  Click Apply to save the Wi-Fi settings.  

Second, follow the instructions under the section titled Set Up a Repeater starting on page 44 of the manual.  For the Repeater IP Address, enter an address that is in the subnet managed by the Beetel but outside of the DHCP range.  For example, if the Beetel's subnet is 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100, inclusive, then enter 192.168.1.101 as the Repeater IP Address.  This will become the WNR614's new IP address.  Once you click Apply to activate the repeater mode, routerlogin.net may no longer work.  In that case, use 192.168.1.101 to log back into the WNR614.

Third, test Internet access through the repeater.  If it works, then you are done.  If it doesn't work, then chances are the Beetel doesn't support WDS.  You will either have to set up the WNR614 as a wired Access Point, as searay suggested, or you have to buy a real range extender.

Message 9 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Moot point but

"I connected the netgear repeater to wifi modem with cable and another cable from netgear router to computer." 

Doesn't this suggest you used a wire to connect to the beetel and and netgear and another to PC?

Either way no big deal! ...............You're in good hands with TheEther.

Message 10 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

@TheEther

Thanks for your support.

I did factory reset and connected the WNR614 to computer with ethernet cable (no other cable plugged in except this). Changed SSID name, password, security settings and channel to same as my Beetel modem and applied it. Here are the settings after that.

Beetel -
  IP Address - 192.168.1.1
  Subnet - 255.255.255.0
  DHCP - 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100
  SSID - Neeraj
  Channel - 1
  Encryption - WEP

WNR614 -
  Enable Wireless Repeater Function - ON
  Wireless Repeater Address - 192.168.1.105
  Base Station MAC Address - Entered Beetel MAC address
  LAN TCP/IP Address - 192.168.1.105
  Subnet - 255.255.255.0
  DHCP - 192.168.1.106 to 192.168.1.254
  SSID - Neeraj
  Channel - 1
  Encryption - WEP

After this WNR614 interface/settings page is connecting via 192.168.1.105 instead of routerlogin.net.
At this stage, only three lights are glowing in WNR614 - Power, WiFi and Ethernet but Internet light is NOT glowing, it is OFF. I also tried connecting my android phone to Wifi, it is connected to network but no internet found.

I think probably Beetel 450tc1 modem do not support WDS. But can I connect an ethernet wire from my Beetel to WNR614 and can I use that as a wired range extender? What settings should I do for that?

Thanks

Message 11 of 18
TheEther
Guru

Yes, it should work as a wired range extender.  I believe the WNR614 doesn't have an Enable AP Mode setting, so you will have to use the old-fashioned method.  Disable the Wireless Repeater.  You can keep the LAN IP address set to 192.168.1.105.

1. Change the Wi-Fi channel so that it is different than the one used by the Beetel.  You can keep the SSID and password the same.  Devices will automatically join to the strongest channel and jump to the other one as you roam.  You can't control when the jump will occur and you might experience a short connection drop during the switch. 

Alternatively, you can use a different SSID.  This will give you the choice of selecting which Wi-Fi network to connect to.  Both Wi-Fi networks will still be connected to the same subnet, so devices can still communicate with each other regardless of which Wi-Fi network they are joined to.

Save your changes.

2. Disable the DHCP Server.  If your computer originally obtained an IP address from the router, it will still probably work for a while, but temporarily switch to a static IP address if you lose connectivity to the WNR614.
  3. Set the gateway IP address to 192.168.1.1.
  4. Connect one of the LAN ports of the WNR614 to the Beetel.  Leave the Internet port disconnected.  It's not used.
  5. Test Internet connectivity.
Message 12 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

@TheEther

As soon as I disable Wireless Repeater, I cannot set my WNR614 router IP Address to same subnet 192.168.1.x. It fall back to 10.0.0.x automatically.

While it works fine in 10.0.0.x and I can connect to internet (no matter if I keep same SSID or different, both works) but its not in same network subnet. I want my both routers in same subnet.

It could be some basic stuff, but sorry I am new to networking.

Thanks

Message 13 of 18
TheEther
Guru

Ok, disconnect the WNR614 from everything, do a factory reset, then connect a PC to the LAN port and proceed to set it up again.

Message 14 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

@TheEther

Thank you for your help.

I am able to setup my new router in same network / subnet and wifi is enabled on both routers (I choose to keep different SSID for both of them).

Also found this blog post with simple steps to how to do this - http://routersetup.blogspot.in/2007/08/connecting-two-routers-wired.html

Message 15 of 18
TheEther
Guru

Thank you for finding that blog.  I saw it before but forgot to save the link.  

For everyone's benefit, those instructions do NOT apply to newer Netgear routers that have an Enable AP Mode setting, which takes care of disabling the DHCP server.  Moreover, the Internet/WAN port is still used to connect to the primary router.  This makes the wiring simple and easy to remember and frees up one LAN port.

Enjoy your Access Point.

Message 16 of 18
nkj79
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes, we can use the WAN/Internet port but when I used that, I was forced to use different subnet, as that was making a LAN to WAN connection instead of LAN to LAN (when we connect lan port to lan port in both routers). But yes, using WAN/Interent port is easier in compare to LAN.

Thank you once again for your support.

BTW, Netgear official support is not good at all. I had a chat with them for over a hour but the support person was enable to resolve my problem.

Message 17 of 18
TheEther
Guru

@nkj79 wrote:

Hi,

Yes, we can use the WAN/Internet port but when I used that, I was forced to use different subnet, as that was making a LAN to WAN connection instead of LAN to LAN (when we connect lan port to lan port in both routers). But yes, using WAN/Interent port is easier in compare to LAN.

Sorry, I need to clarify.  

On your router, you need to use the LAN port when using it as a wired Access Point.  If you use the WAN port, you get a different subnet.

On a newer router with an Enable AP Mode setting, you can use the WAN port when using it as an wired Access Point.  You WON'T get a different subnet.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7