Highlighted
Aspirant

Problems with Wireless Printing and other problems with New .32 Firmware - Read this

So I think I may have figured out the problem. There is an option for "Enable Router's PIN" under Advanced Wireless Settings that needs to be unchecked. It worked for me. It worked on a Canon printer.
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Problems with Wireless Printing and other problems with New .32 Firmware - Read t

Pin is for WPS Pin which wireless devices to connect to wireless router using PIN (WPS method) and not with normal encryption (ex WPA2, WPA)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Problems with Wireless Printing and other problems with New .32 Firmware - Read t

According to this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

"Users have been urged to turn off the WPS feature" (Allar, Jared (2011-12-27). "Vulnerability Note VU#723755 - WiFi Protected Setup PIN brute force vulnerability". Vulnerability Notes Database. US CERT. Retrieved 2011-12-31.)

This, however, doesn't solve my problem. I still get a network error when trying to pair my smartphone with my laptop when they're both wireless. And I still can't send a job from my wireless laptop to my wireless printer, whether WPS PIN is enabled or not.
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Virtuoso

WPS disable will NOT make any wifi device to connect

USE NORMAL encryption method such as WPA, WPA2
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

I posted this in another section and thought it would be helpful. It had great success for me and got my printer back.

I had the same issue with my Brother Printer and after not wanting to spend the $$ for Netgear Support. I tried reloading the factory firmware through the Netgear GUI. Doing Tireless attempts and no success I bought a new device for replacement. I did some last minute research and was not worried about breaking the device and found the below post and had success.

PRINTER is WORKING FLAWLESSLY

WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps

So here's how to restore the stock or factory firmware on your Netgear WNDR3700 router in five simple and easy to understand steps.

Before you begin you will need to gather these resources:
1. A push pin, safety pin or needle.
2. A copy of the latest WNDR3700 firmware which you can download [HERE]

Step 1: Setting Your Static IP Address

It is important that you setup a static IP address on your computer. Navigate to: "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Network and Internet" -> "Network and Sharing Center" -> "Change adapter settings" (left side). Now right click on your local area connection and open up the properties window. Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click on properties. Enter the following information then click "OK".

Quote:

IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway:
Preferred DNS server:
Alternate DNS server:

Step 2: Placing the Router Into Recovery Mode

Start by turning off the router using the power button on the back of the device. Now, using the small object of your choice, press and hold the "Restore Factory Settings", also known as the Reset button located on the bottom of the router (there is a red ring around it). While holding the rest button, turn the router back on. Continue to hold the reset button for approximately 45 seconds then release it. (Make sure power light is blinking green)

** NOTE: Before you release the reset button, just be sure the power LED light on the router is flashing. If it isn't, continue to hold it for about another 15 seconds until it is flashing.

Step 3: Enable the TFTP Client in Windows

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will need to enable the TFTP client. To do this, navigate to: "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Programs" -> "Programs and Features" -> "Turn Windows features on or off" (left side). From there, scroll down until you spot "TFTP Client". Check the box if it isnt already and click "OK". Exit the control panel.

Step 4: Flash the Firmware (Plug Ethernet Cable into Port 1)

Start by opening up a command prompt. From there you will want to type "cd desktop" in order to change your working directory to your desktop. Assuming of course that is where you saved the firmware download. Now for the fun bit. In the command window type:

Quote:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put WNDR3700-V1.0.4.68NA.img

** NOTE: Be sure to use the appropriate name of the file you are trying to flash. It may be a later version then the one I used as an example.

Step 5: The Waiting Game

This would be the perfect time to go grab a drink or hit the washroom. You need to be patient. Do not turn off, restart, unplug cables or otherwise interact with your router. It may take a little while; this is normal! Watch the power LED light on the front of the router. It should remain orange throughout the process. Once it is complete, it will turn green. At this point you may proceed to point your browser to "192.168.1.1" and continue to setup your router.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements