Re: Proper network structure for a home entertainment center

mazekl
Novice

Proper network structure for a home entertainment center

I have a home entertainment center in my basement, while my internet access is on the second floor. What I'd like to do is locate a bridge in the basement that I can hook my ethernet enabled BluRay and preamp to, and have a wireless router upstairs which would pass streaming audio and A/V to the bridge. Based on reading, I think I need to utilize the 5ghz band to avoid interference with other 2.4ghz devices. I also need to network a USB printer and a 2.4ghz laptop.

I am planning to use a D-Link DAP-1525 in bridge mode and a Netgear WNDR4500 for my router.

Is this a bad design? Does Netgear make a device which would serve the same function as the D-link? I'd rather keep all my business with Netgear if possible but they don't seem to have a 5ghz bridge in their home network lineup.

Thanks for your opinions!

Kirk
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Running cable will be most reliable option and I will do that first

You may want I us extender sic wince3001 and switch behind

It will join the existing network with WPA2/5Ghz
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Chances are that 5GHz. network will not make you happy between your basement and 2nd floor. As June mentioned, running a cable is best. You can also use powerline networking, or MoCA to avoid running a cable, but neither of them is as good as a cable. I use MoCA (Multimedia over Coax cable), using the TV coax cable already in the walls, and find that to work well. If you have satellite TV, though, I'd look at powerline networking first, personally.
Message 3 of 6
billshih1975
Aspirant

power line is good idea for your environment.
Otherwise, perhaps you can try the NTGR WN2500RP repeater.
Message 4 of 6
SpadeNewsom
Aspirant

WNHD3004 in the entertainment room pairs well with my WNDR3700 in the office.

No slippages at all although I have not tried to stream 1080p and I have never had a need to measure actual poerformance. It is designed to work for 1080p though.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/hometheater/networking-for-home-theater-and-gaming/WNHD3004.asp...
Message 5 of 6
NatRay
Tutor

Don’t fall for the hype . . .
Nothing, absolutely nothing beats a wired backbone. Be it 10/100 Mbps, or a Gig, wireless doesn’t come close! Smiley Tongue
Best regards,

Nat Ray MCSE/MCT since 1997

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** HPEnvy800 -PHX **

DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007

Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .

‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E