Question/problem with router upgrade feature.

Valek
Aspirant

Question/problem with router upgrade feature.

I purchased my 3700 sometime ago and it works perfectly with no problem. However, the other day I was logged into the router just checking my settings and I decided to use the Router Upgrade feature to check my Firmware. Once I hit the box marked "Check" the search started, but the screen never refreshes or finds any updates and seems to be stuck in this loop. I can log out no problem and as I said the router works great, but I thought I would upgrade the Firmware since there are a few versions I missed. I know I can download the update to my computer, but It was bothering me that this feature was not working .Therefore, does anyone have an idea why the Router Upgrade feature will not work and should I bother upgrading to the new versions, and will it improve anything? My current Firmware is 1.0.4.68.

Thanks you for any info.
Message 1 of 9
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Question/problem with router upgrade feature.

Valek wrote:
I purchased my 3700 sometime ago and it works perfectly with no problem...

By your own admission you are having no problems. Questions: Why do you want to upgrade? From the look of some of the complaints here, are you looking for trouble? Maybe you need to do some reading here, or you haven't done enough reading.

IMO, upgrading for upgrading sake is foolhardy particularly if you have no problems!

I have experienced occasions when it does take a much longer than usual time to access Netgear's sites. Could be that too many people were trying to access at the same time. Maybe that's what was happening?

If you are still bent on upgrading, well, you can go to the netgear site and read whatever notes they have attached to the various firmware versions. Downloading to your PC then flashing the router appears to be the method recommended by some as being safer.
Message 2 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sometime use the feature to check firmware from the route interface may not work properly if server can not be reach.

You can always go to support.netgear.com and find the latest firmware,
Pers said already , you did not need to flash firmware because you have an issues. Many of issues can resolve with out doing firmware flashing and/or unless fimrware notes states the fixes you maybe need to rectifiy the issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 9
Chuck_s
Aspirant

You can download the new firmware direct from Netgear Support Home at the link or at the top of this page. Won't hurt to install the latest or any intermediate version, you can always go back if you save the on-board firmware first.

-- Chuck
Message 4 of 9
Valek
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
By your own admission you are having no problems. Questions: Why do you want to upgrade? From the look of some of the complaints here, are you looking for trouble? Maybe you need to do some reading here, or you haven't done enough reading.

IMO, upgrading for upgrading sake is foolhardy particularly if you have no problems!

I have experienced occasions when it does take a much longer than usual time to access Netgear's sites. Could be that too many people were trying to access at the same time. Maybe that's what was happening?

If you are still bent on upgrading, well, you can go to the netgear site and read whatever notes they have attached to the various firmware versions. Downloading to your PC then flashing the router appears to be the method recommended by some as being safer.

That is correct, I have no problems. However, I always thought it was good to have the latest firmware installed for the sake of having the latest tech. I am aware that the old "if it aint broke don't fix it" rule seems to apply with Firmware, but I have added new hardware to my network (TV,Blu-Ray, Receiver), so I thought it woudl not hurt to have the latest updates. It seems that you think I should not update, so is that the case.
Message 5 of 9
Joe_
Apprentice

What you can do (as I already indicated) is read the firmware notes to see if there is mention of an issue you face or a feature you are interested in. As Chuck_s said, you can always revert. Personally, I don't believe in fiddling with something that's working right - but that's just my opinion. IMHO, too many people on these forums have reported upgrading their firmware "because the router did so automatically". Some turn up here with a few more grey hairs.

There are some that are more enterprising than others. There are those too who must always have the latest and greatest. It takes all types I guess. Me? I opt for stability first.
Message 6 of 9
Valek
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
What you can do (as I already indicated) is read the firmware notes to see if there is mention of an issue you face or a feature you are interested in. As Chuck_s said, you can always revert. Personally, I don't believe in fiddling with something that's working right - but that's just my opinion. IMHO, too many people on these forums have reported upgrading their firmware "because the router did so automatically". Some turn up here with a few more grey hairs.

There are some that are more enterprising than others. There are those too who must always have the latest and greatest. It takes all types I guess. Me? I opt for stability first.

First off, thank you for the information and I did solve the problem with the router upgrade feature not working with a power cycle of the router, which did find the new firmware. However, I did some checking around the forums as you suggested and I found a good amount of people who had problems with their internet dropping after upgrading. Therefore, maybe I will research a little more, but as of right now I do not think it may be worth it.
Message 7 of 9
Scandy
Tutor

I agree with the others...If things are working well for you, do not upgrade. Only upgrade if you think that it will fix a problem that you cannot live with.

As far as the internal router upgrade, I have owned my 3700 for over a year now and I can tell you that the built-in upgrade is marginal at best. It frequently does not find new firmware and is very intermittent. If you do upgrade, download the firmware to your PC first and manually do the upgrade using the web interface. Upgrading that way is a much safer way to go.
Message 8 of 9
Valek
Aspirant

Scandy wrote:
I agree with the others...If things are working well for you, do not upgrade. Only upgrade if you think that it will fix a problem that you cannot live with.

As far as the internal router upgrade, I have owned my 3700 for over a year now and I can tell you that the built-in upgrade is marginal at best. It frequently does not find new firmware and is very intermittent. If you do upgrade, download the firmware to your PC first and manually do the upgrade using the web interface. Upgrading that way is a much safer way to go.

Thanks for the information.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E