× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R4500: Port forwarding not working on port 80

SalmonMan
Tutor

R4500: Port forwarding not working on port 80

I set up an Onan Generator on my home network and reserved an IP address on my network for it.  The Cummins Onan manual askes me to set port forwarding for remote internet access.  They require forwarding port 80.  When I try to do that I get the message:

The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of USB Readyshare, Remote Management, Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type

I called Cummins Onan and they said that port 80 must be used.  How can I get around this problem?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

You have two options.

1. Figure out which one of the features on the router (i.e. USB Readyshare, Remote Management, etc.) is tying up port 80 and disable it.  You may have to figure this out through trial and error.
  2. Ignore the advice of Cummins Onan and forward a different port.  I found a copy of the manual online.  While it appears that the Onan is only accessible through port 80, you don't have to use the same number for the external port.  You could, for example, create a port forwarding rule that forwards external port 8000 to internal port 80 at the IP address of your Onan.  Suppose your Onan has IP address 192.168.1.10.  Then to log into your Onan remotely, just point your browser at 192.168.1.10:8000.

Personally, I would use option 2.  

Regardless of which option you use, I would caution you to put a really strong password on your generator because it will be exposed to the Internet.  I'm sure you don't want anyone hacking into it!  The only thing protecting it will be the password.  Make the password as long as possible. I'm talking at least 16 characters.  And it better well not be something obvious.  Personally, I would make the password totally random, with letters, numbers and special characters.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You have two options.

1. Figure out which one of the features on the router (i.e. USB Readyshare, Remote Management, etc.) is tying up port 80 and disable it.  You may have to figure this out through trial and error.
  2. Ignore the advice of Cummins Onan and forward a different port.  I found a copy of the manual online.  While it appears that the Onan is only accessible through port 80, you don't have to use the same number for the external port.  You could, for example, create a port forwarding rule that forwards external port 8000 to internal port 80 at the IP address of your Onan.  Suppose your Onan has IP address 192.168.1.10.  Then to log into your Onan remotely, just point your browser at 192.168.1.10:8000.

Personally, I would use option 2.  

Regardless of which option you use, I would caution you to put a really strong password on your generator because it will be exposed to the Internet.  I'm sure you don't want anyone hacking into it!  The only thing protecting it will be the password.  Make the password as long as possible. I'm talking at least 16 characters.  And it better well not be something obvious.  Personally, I would make the password totally random, with letters, numbers and special characters.

Message 2 of 3
SalmonMan
Tutor

The second suggestion worked!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7