× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6050 DNS and DHCP

R6050 DNS and DHCP

Just set up my R6050 as an AP . . . I think.  It's connected to my router by cable.  Signal strengh appears strong, but that's with qualifications.  My problem is no device will connect through the AP.

First, I have 2 networks associated with my router.  I'll call them "network24" and "network50."  When I'm within 3' of the R6050, both networks are listed on devices.  Network24 shows 'strong' signal but asks for a password before connecting. It won't accept my password.  Network50 shows "not in range."

I have 2 new networks when within range of the R6050 so, correct or not, I suspect they are assocciated with the R6050.  These are (from memory) NETGEAR72 and NETGEAR72-5G.  These networks show as having a "very strong" signal.  Have no idea what the password to either is.  I know it's not "password."

Why is network50 "out of range?"

Why will network24 not accept the password?

How do I connect to NETWORK72 AND NETWORK72-5G?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Are you sure you factory reset your R6050?

Connect your PC to the R6050 with an Ethernet cable.  Temporarily disable Wi-Fi on your PC to insure that it doesn't interfere.  If 192.168.1.1 doesn't work, then open a Command Prompt on your PC and run ipconfig /all.  Look for your Ethernet connection and find the IP address for the Default Gateway.  It should be 192.168.1.1.  If it's different, then enter that address into your browser and you should be able to connect to your R6050.

Then, follow my previous instructions to set up the wireless networks, enable AP mode and reconnect the R6050 to the WDNR4000.  Re-enable Wi-Fi on your PC and it should be able to connect to the R6050 wirelessly.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Ensure the IP address (subnet) matches your Base router, otherwise no one will get to the internet. 

Example" If your router  is" 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 your AP should be 192.168.1.x (x represent a non-conflicting IP address)  255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1. Your clients need to be able to see your SSID's. 2,4 and 5 ghz, depending of course, on whether your clients support both wifi bands.  Make sure your wifi passphrase matches on all SSID's. Out of range on a band channel indicates just that. Try getting closer.. 5ghz, although has better throughput, does not have the range of 2.4ghz..

Message 2 of 12
TheEther
Guru

network50 sounds like a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, while network24 is most like a 2.4 GHz network.  If true, then network50 could be out of range because 5 GHz signals degrade more quickly with distance than 2.4 GHz signals.

You should log into your router and double-check that you have the correct password for network24.  You may have mistaken a 0 (zero) for an O (oh), or a 1 (one) for an l (ell) or even a | (vertical bar).

The network names for your Netgear sound like the default names provided after a factory reset.  If this is the case for you, then the default passwords for your networks are printed on a label attached to the bottom.  I would recommend changing the passwords because they are not always very good.  You should probably change the network names, too, to something more unique in case your neighbor sets up a Wi-Fi network with a Netgear.

Message 3 of 12

I'm doing something wrong. Tried reconnecting my R605 straight to the PC again. Keep getting "Invalid IP" when I try to login. I've unplugged the actual router (not the R6050 which is an AP). Tried logging in to the R6050 using 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.100 (the IP shown on the router as the AP's IP). Can't log in to it anymore. Can't find how to do a factory reset so I can start over. As for the range on the 5.0 network, I'm sitting 3' away from the AP - I doubt I'm out of range. You're probably right - the Network-24 is likely the default network name on the R6050. Problem is I don't know the password and can't find it in the manual. If you can get me to the point I can log in to the R6050 again, I'll try the suggestions.
Message 4 of 12
TheEther
Guru

If your R6050 is already configured as an AP, then it's probably relying on your main router to get its own IP address.  If you unplugged the R6050 from the router, then it will lose its IP address and you will not be able to log into it.  Either plug it back into the router or reset the R6050 to its factory settings.  To do the latter, insert a paper clip into the Restore Factory Settings button for at least 7 seconds.  According to page 12 of the R6050 manual, the button is located with the product label.

With respect to the 5.0 network, you said that the network called "network50" was out of range.  I was assuming that this network is coming from your router, not your R6050.  Is your router also 3' away?  If it's located somewhere else, then it could very well be out of range.

Message 5 of 12

This is getting miserable. Be patient with a long discussion. Found factory restore (I searched instructions for "factory reset"). I'm guessing I did it correctly - held it in 10 seconds. With Netgear WNDR400 turned off. Connected the R6050 to the cable modem per instructions and connected to PC through cable. Tried to login using routerlogin.net. "server not found or supported." Connected the R6050 to the modem per instructions and connected to PC through wifi - R6050 3' from PC. Netgear72-5g gives "limited connection" but will not let me enter router settings - "server not found." Netgear72 asks for a password. After a minute or two, asks for password again, and again, and again. Using the password on the bottom of the R6050 - the one Netgear72-5G accepts for "limited connection." Tried connecting to the R6050 using Genie. Same problem. Suggests I disable Ipv6. Been working with this 3-4 hours. The R6050 connected perfectly right out of the box but I can't connect now. What am I missing?
Message 6 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear with my instructions.  I meant for you to plug the R6050 (still running as an AP) back into the router, or do a factory reset.  But do not do both.  Now that you have factory reset the R6050, it is no longer functioning as an AP.

At this point, you are better off dealing strictly with the R6050.  The goal is to reconfigure it as an AP.  To make things simple, disconnect the R6050 from everything.  Then, connect the PC directly to one of the R6050's LAN ports using an Ethernet cable.  You should be able to log into the R6050 using www.routerlogin.net.  If it doesn't, then try 192.168.1.1.  This is the default IP address used by Netgear routers after a factory reset.

Once you are in, proceed to set up the Wi-Fi networks.  Change the passwords and, optionally, the names of the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.  Click Apply to save the changes.

Now, go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP, tick the Enable AP Mode box and click Apply.  At this point, you may lose your connection.  Disconnect the PC and connect one of the R6050's LAN port to your main router using an Ethernet cable.  That's it.  Your R6050 should start working as an AP.  You may want to log into your main router and confirm that it has assigned an IP address to the R6050.  Try joining either of the Wi-Fi networks provided by the R6050.  Internet access should work.  You should also be able to log into the R6050 using the IP address assigned by your main router.  routerlogin.net will probably not work in AP mode.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the help. According to the manual (as I read it), I also connect the R6050 to the cable modem. Likely part of my problem. With R6050 power on, I connected it by cable to the PC. First time I tried routerlogin.net, I got a popup wanting the username password for WDNR4000. Disabled wifi. (PC connected to WDNR4000 wirelessly.) Should I unplug WDNR4000? Logon though browser - routerlogin.net. "server not found" Login using 192.168.1.1 "unable to connect." Login through Genie to Netgear72 - asks for password again and again. (using password on bottom of unit) Login through Genie to Netgear72-5G - connected with "limited Connection? R6050 3' from PC. I have to be missing something.
Message 8 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Are you sure you factory reset your R6050?

Connect your PC to the R6050 with an Ethernet cable.  Temporarily disable Wi-Fi on your PC to insure that it doesn't interfere.  If 192.168.1.1 doesn't work, then open a Command Prompt on your PC and run ipconfig /all.  Look for your Ethernet connection and find the IP address for the Default Gateway.  It should be 192.168.1.1.  If it's different, then enter that address into your browser and you should be able to connect to your R6050.

Then, follow my previous instructions to set up the wireless networks, enable AP mode and reconnect the R6050 to the WDNR4000.  Re-enable Wi-Fi on your PC and it should be able to connect to the R6050 wirelessly.

Message 9 of 12

OK, we're making progress now!!! Everything is set as it should be. One problem. Sitting in reach of the R6050, my phone and laptop show signal is "very strong." But when I try to connect to a network, one throws a "poor communication," and the other "network not available." If I can fix this, life is GOOD!!!
Message 10 of 12

Never mind. Cycled the WDNR4000 and everything connects to the R6050 perfectly. I'm happy. Thanks VERY much for being patient. Don't know why it worked. Don't CARE why it worked. Life is good.
Message 11 of 12

OK, it works perfectly. Rebooted my router. Thanks for the help
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7