× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6050 Won't Install Firmware Update

WAMorgan
Apprentice

R6050 Won't Install Firmware Update

Brand new R6050. I'm wanting to update it to the current firmware. It says it currently has V1.0.1.10_1.0.1; however, when I look at the available versions in the Downloads section of Netgear's web site, it doesn't list this one. The newest "previous versions" is v1.0.1.7_1.0.1. The router thinks there's a new version out there and I've tried downloading to my computer and installing it and letting the router auto download and install it. Either way, it goes through the entire process and when it reboots, it still on the original version. I'm wondering if the new version is being advertised as v1.1.0.10 but is really v1.0.1.10 in the coding, so the router thinks there's a new version out there when there's not. As I mentioned earlier, v1.0.1.10 is NOT listed in the "previous versions" list.

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
WAMorgan
Apprentice

Ok, I've gone through Netgear's uncalled for harassment and they have updated their web site to indicate the correct firmware version. I've verified that the site is now showing v1.0.1.10 as the current version and that the router itself is no longer prompting to be updated.

View solution in original post

Model: R6050|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router
Message 20 of 22

All Replies
WAMorgan
Apprentice

PS. As mentioned above, this is a brand new unit. I've never had one come out of the box with the current firmware on it. So, this makes me think, that while the problem appears to be a typo, it most likely is not. Any verifications?

Message 2 of 22

@WAMorgan wrote:

Brand new R6050. I'm wanting to update it to the current firmware. It says it currently has V1.0.1.10_1.0.1; however, when I look at the available versions in the Downloads section of Netgear's web site, it doesn't list this one. The newest "previous versions" is v1.0.1.7_1.0.1.

This can happen for a number of reasons. In this case it looks like your analysis is spot on and Netgear has got its numbers in a twist.

If you look at the numbering of the firmware sequence it starts at Firmware Version 1.0.0.22 rising gradually to Firmware Version 1.0.1.7, before making a giant leap to Firmware Version 1.1.0.10. I would expect it to go next to Firmware Version 1.0.1.10.

Someone else brought this up before, but no one from Netgear responded.

This mismatch may also explain why you keep being offered an update even when there isn't one.

As this is brand new, you have the delight of 90 days free support. If you can be bothered, and can work out how to navigate the support system, you could ask Netgear what is going on.

Whatever you do, if you get someone on the phone politely turn down any exhortation to take out a support contract.

Message 3 of 22
WAMorgan
Apprentice

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. There are 2 things that have me suspicious over it not being a typo. The first is, as I mentioned, I've never gotten a router before that had the most current firmware right out of the box. The second is that I don't see a new firmware for the key swap Wi-Fi bug that all their other routers have been receiving, including many of the older routers. So, I was wondering if the 1.1.0 10 is real and if that's supposed to have the key swap patch in it and they have a problem with the wrong download file being offered.

Message 4 of 22

@WAMorgan wrote:

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. There are 2 things that have me suspicious over it not being a typo. The first is, as I mentioned, I've never gotten a router before that had the most current firmware right out of the box. 

Me neither. That's the first thing I check.

@WAMorgan wrote:

The second is that I don't see a new firmware for the key swap Wi-Fi bug that all their other routers have been receiving, including many of the older routers.

If that is the WPA2/KRACK thing, then it is too new for some devices to have been fixed. And some devices may not need fixing.

Check this:

Security Advisory for WPA-2 Vulnerabilities, PSV-2017-2826, PSV-2017-2836, PSV-2017-2837 | Answer | ...

This says that firmware version 1.0.1.10 is vulnerable, suggesting that the number may be correct. But is yours running in bridge mode?

Message 5 of 22
WAMorgan
Apprentice

No, I'm not running in bridge mode, so it's not acting as a client, which is where the vulnerability is. However, I'd still expect a new firmware to handle the problem for those that are running in bridge mode. So, since there isn't one yet, hopefully there will be shortly and that should take care of the version problem.

Message 6 of 22

Indeed.

The timing of updates is likely to be down to the people who make the chipsets that Netgear, and other device makers, put into their devices. Other brands are in the same boat and have been more forthcoming than Netgear on the source of the problem.

The people at greatest risk are those who have wifi clients, phones and tablets, that run on Android and other operating systems. I wonder how long it will be before updates land there.

Message 7 of 22
cdlason
Guide

I have a 3 year old R6050 router and also can’t install the update offered. I tried with the upgrade assistant and by downloading the upgrade. I tried for clarification from Netgear and was offered an answer for $139.00. Keeping in mind I could get a new one (same kind) for around $60, I was not going to pay that. I assumed they were taking advantage of the security situation to earn some extra money.
Message 8 of 22

Have you read the conversation so far?

Can you tell us which firmware version you have?

What happens when you tried to install the firmware?

Message 9 of 22
cdlason
Guide

I have the same current firmware version as the original poster for this discussion. When I try to install it all appears to be going normally. Says it is updating the settings but ultimately shows the same version I had before and still says there is an update available. I’ve tried rebooting the router, even unplugged it.
Message 10 of 22

See this for my theory:

Re: R6050 Won't Install Firmware Update - NETGEAR Communities

Unless you have a better idea, I'd give up and wait for the next version.

Sadly, Netgear does not seem to be too keen to respond.

Message 11 of 22
AZtraveler
Tutor

I have the same problem with a 2 year old unit. Have tried upgrading from the router's firmware update, manual download/install, and the Netgear Genie app (still shows V1.0.10).

Message 12 of 22

Are you looking for help, or are you just adding a "me too" vote?

If the latter, thanks for confirming the problem.

If you are seeking an explanation, see above.

Message 13 of 22
cdlason
Guide

Looks like a device wide issue of some sort. Hopefully WAMorgan takes advantage of the free tech support and finds an answer. I looked up the support number online and navigated my way through the endless phone tree but they can be reached.
Message 14 of 22

Indeed.

There was a recent sighting of the same phenomenon with an other device. Strangely, if my memory isn't shot, the firmware number was the same. Same pattern. Sudden jump in the firmware number that wasn't in line with the normal progression.

Message 15 of 22
AZtraveler
Tutor

Interesting🤔🤔

Message 16 of 22

Message 17 of 22
WAMorgan
Apprentice

Since my unit is brand new, I have submitted this as a warranty request. We'll see what happens.

Message 18 of 22

Good move. Keep us informed.

Message 19 of 22
WAMorgan
Apprentice

Ok, I've gone through Netgear's uncalled for harassment and they have updated their web site to indicate the correct firmware version. I've verified that the site is now showing v1.0.1.10 as the current version and that the router itself is no longer prompting to be updated.

Message 20 of 22
AZtraveler
Tutor

Well Done👍👍 - and thank you WAMorgan! 

Message 21 of 22
cdlason
Guide

Thank you WAMorgan!! I showed that my router is updated now also