× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6050 turn off wifi schedule doesn't work

newmguy
Guide

R6050 turn off wifi schedule doesn't work

I want to schedule wifi to shut off at night so the kids are not on their phones all night.

I did this successfully before I upgraded to the latest firmware

Firmware Version 1.0.1.26.

Now the ability to turn of the wifi by schedule does not work anymore (even though the settings are 100% correct).

Other people have posted this same problem with no solution.

My settings are correct, I have tried everything including factory restoring the unit.

IT IS a bug in the firmware. I hope Netgear will admit their firmware is the problem and offer a solution.

This does not show me confidence in the security of Netgear products.

Model: R6050|A750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
newmguy
Guide

Re: R6050 turn off wifi schedule doesn't work

I tried the oldest firmware I could find:

JR6150-V1.0.0.30_1.0.1.img

Just a note: Loading the firmware does not erase the configuration.

I had to do a factory reset using the reset pin.

Using the firmware listed above (R6150-V1.0.0.30_1.0.1.img) the Wifi Scheduling now works again. The Wifi shuts off at 11PM and back on by 6 AM.

I don't know if any of the newer firmware works with Wifi Scheduling, it would take to long to load all of the files and test them one by one.

I DO KNOW that all of the firmware from version JR6150_R6050-V1.0.1.10_1.0.1 and higher does not work with  Wifi Scheduling.

I don't need the secuity updates with the newer firmware because the R6050 is being used in AP Mode so the router given to me by my ISP takes care of the security.

I hope this helps anyone who has the same issue with this router. It's hard to find a router that has the easy AP Mode configuration.

(NO, I don't want to disable DHCP using a regular router)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

On the support site for your device, click on downloads. After that, click on "+view previous versions"

From there you'll be able to download the older firmwares. 

Message 2 of 10
newmguy
Guide

Does anyone know which version of firmware is working that will allow wifi scheduling to work?

I would rather not try loading every version (trial & error method) in case something goes wrong during loading.

Thanks in advance

Message 3 of 10

@newmguy wrote:

Does anyone know which version of firmware is working that will allow wifi scheduling to work?

I would rather not try loading every version (trial & error method) in case something goes wrong during loading.

Thanks in advance

Can you remember which firmware version you had before this hit you?

If you are in the habit of keeping firmware up to date, you might get away with the one before latest.

Looking at the firmware library for the R6050, the latest update was at the end if 2019. So don't expect much action from Netgear.

Unfortunately, the R6050, first launched in 2014, is pretty well Netgear's bottom of the range device, so it isn't one that has a whole load of users around here.

Message 4 of 10
newmguy
Guide

Unfortunately I don't know what version last worked. I am trying various versions of the older firmware. I will post my results here.

So far nothing is working..

Message 5 of 10
newmguy
Guide

I tried the oldest firmware I could find:

JR6150-V1.0.0.30_1.0.1.img

Using the firmware listed above (R6150-V1.0.0.30_1.0.1.img) the Wifi Scheduling now works again. The Wifi shuts off at 11PM and back on by 6 AM.

I don't know if any of the newer firmware works with Wifi Scheduling, it would take to long to load all of the files and test them one by one.

I DO KNOW that all of the firmware from version JR6150_R6050-V1.0.1.10_1.0.1 and higher does not work with  Wifi Scheduling.

I don't need the secuity updates with the newer firmware because the R6050 is being used in AP Mode so the router given to me by my ISP takes care of the security.

I hope this helps anyone who has the same issue with this router. It's hard to find a router that has the easy AP Mode configuration.

(NO, I don't want to disable DHCP using a regular router)

Message 6 of 10

Well done. You have now confirmed that it is a firmware issue.

You have one of those basic, and ageing, routers that don't have many features, but they should still work. I'll pass this on to the powers that be.

Given the overlap between router firmware, I would not be surprised if other devices had the same bug.

@newmguy wrote:

There's a way of narrowing down the hunt for firmware that works, or other multiple choice things like this. No need to try them all one at a time.

Pick the one halfway between the original release and the dud that fails.

If the new version works, then go to one halfway between that ans the dud.

If it fails, pick the one halfway between that and the original.

Repeat until you land on the  most recent that does work.

Not sure that this is sound reasoning. I suspect that you are correct, but I would still want to have the most recent version available that does work. Even access points are vulnerable.

That's how it should work. There are people who are surprised that a "factory reset" does not get them back to the original firmware.

Message 7 of 10
newmguy
Guide

Thank you for responding.

Yes the router is aging, however it is all I need. I have grown used to the menus and I find other routers are unnecessarily complicated for no reason whatsoever. I have two of these (one was on clearance at Wal Mart)

I did try to load a few verions of the firmware but it is so tedious when you have to configure the settings. It takes a very long time to reload after saving every single setting.

As for the old firmware, I did try some newer versions as I mentioned above, the scheduling didn't work at all.

I am well aware that a factory reset won't get me the original firmware, but I was under the impression with a fresh reload of the firmware, the configuration would be erased. The configuration must be in a separate memory like an eeprom which is probably why it is not erased when reloading the firmware.

I had factory reset the router numerous times with the latest firmware because I thought the configuration was corrupt causing the wifi scheduling not to work. I also thought maybe a newer configuration (made with a newer version of firmware) would not be compatible with older firmware. This was not the case. The firmware is at fault!

One of my routers the factory reset does not work when using the reset button. The button works (checked the circuit with a meter). It won't allow the factory reset by pressing the button. I had a difficult time logging in to the router using the browser, once I was finally in, I factory reset the device with the erase command in Administration, Backup Settings, Erase.

Another bug (maybe for all Netgear routers) is that logging in to routerlogin.net takes you to a netgear website and NOT to the router. You need to know the local IP address of the router. When my router was reset, the IP was 192.168.1.1. and not 192.168.0.1. I used an IP Scanner to find the IP address of the router when it was configured as an access point, connected to my ISP router.

Message 8 of 10

@newmguy wrote:

I had a difficult time logging in to the router using the browser, once I was finally in, I factory reset the device with the erase command in Administration, Backup Settings, Erase.

Another bug (maybe for all Netgear routers) is that logging in to routerlogin.net takes you to a netgear website and NOT to the router. You need to know the local IP address of the router. When my router was reset, the IP was 192.168.1.1. and not 192.168.0.1. I used an IP Scanner to find the IP address of the router when it was configured as an access point, connected to my ISP router.

I assume that the references there to "the router" are to your R6050. If so, there is an obvious answer to these observations.

There is no "other bug" in the firmware to report. The device is behaving as it should. You just need to understand what is going on when you are not using the R6050 as an AP rather than a router.

This might help:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I don't know what this "netgear website" might be, people often confuse the browser graphical user interface (GUI) with a website. In reality it is not something out on the Internet, simply the controls of the device.

You said earlier:

the R6050 is being used in AP Mode so the router given to me by my ISP takes care of the security.

When a router is in AP mode, you cannot use the usual entry points. Things like 192.168.1.1 and routerlogin.net cannot work because your other (unnamed) router handles the addressing on your network. It will allocate an IP address to your AP. You need to find that and address then aim a browser at that it to gain control of the AP.

One way to find the IP address of the AP is to go into the controls of your main router and look for its list of "attached devices".

In my case, I fix the IP address of the AP so that I know how to access it in future.

As to changing the IP address to "192.168.1.1. and not 192.168.0.1", that is exactly as expected and as explained in the manual. When you set them up on a network, all Netgear routers, and those from other brands, will adopt that address by default, unless the router  sees something else on the network that squats n that address. Then the new router is likely to pick 10.0.0.1 or 172.16.5.1.

Your reference to 192.168.0.1 suggests that at some stage in the past you were working with a modem/router. They often use that address as the default. If your main router in front of the R6050 is actually a modem/router that may be its address.

Message 9 of 10
newmguy
Guide

Thanks for responding.

No I am not confusing the website for the router menu. I am not a beginner.

When the R6050 has been factory restored to router mode (not AP Mode), it should allow the user to enter "routerlogin.net" and take you to the router menu (not the internet).  This does not work. It goes here: https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom/ .

I am well aware that my ISP assigned router will assign an IP address to the Netgear router or AP (whatever mode it's in).

Finding that IP sometimes isn't easy. My ISP assigned router has a very poor interface and (most times) does not list this device. That is why I had to use the IP Scanner tool to find the local IP address of the R6050. It does not matter what mode the R6050 is in, Router mode or AP mode, I have always been able to log in using the IP address assigned by my ISP assigned router. Sometimes it is troublesome, usually not. I rarely have to log in to the R6050 unless there is a problem, or I want to change the wifi passwords.

Thank you for reponding to this thread,

Happy New Year!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7