× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6080 Router Compatibility

TnBigDog
Aspirant

R6080 Router Compatibility

Is the R6080 router (which I assume is wifi 5) compatible with a wifi 6 device? Thanks.

Message 1 of 13

Re: R6080 Router Compatibility

@TnBigDog wrote:

Is the R6080 router (which I assume is wifi 5) compatible with a wifi 6 device? Thanks.

No.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look at the data sheet.

It isn't compatible with very much, including many newer Internet services.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Message 2 of 13
TnBigDog
Aspirant

Thanks! Just to clarify--My new laptop has wifi 6 capability. I realize that I cannot get wifi 6 functionality with the R6080 router, but can I still get wifi 5 functionality when using my wifi 6 laptop? In other words, will the router still work? Thank you!

Message 3 of 13

@TnBigDog wrote:

... can I still get wifi 5 functionality when using my wifi 6 laptop? In other words, will the router still work? Thank you!

Yes, but you will get hopeless speeds. Nothing will be faster than 100 Mbps. That's the speed limit between your router and the modem.

If your Internet is slower than that, fine.

Message 4 of 13
TnBigDog
Aspirant

Sorry, I'm not much on internet speeds, etc. So just one more question for my simple mind. Under the scenario I posed, will anything (speeds, connections, etc.) be slower or diminished vs. my previous situation, which was a wifi 5 laptop connecting to this R6080 router? In other words, will the wifi 6 laptop degrade any performance in the wifi 5 R6080? Thanks for any info! 

Message 5 of 13

@TnBigDog wrote:

In other words, will the wifi 6 laptop degrade any performance in the wifi 5 R6080? Thanks for any info! 

No.

How fast is your Internet service?

Message 6 of 13
TnBigDog
Aspirant

It says 46.5 download, 23.8 upload. Thanks.

Message 7 of 13

@TnBigDog wrote:

It says 46.5 download, 23.8 upload. Thanks.

Those numbers don't make much sense.

Even if you mean 46.5 Mbps, that is't how most iSPs sell the services. It is likely to be something like 50 to 70 Mbps. Or 200 Mbps. Exact numbers lie those are what you measure. You may see that when you are paying for something much higher.

Which ISP is this? What sort of service? DSL? Cable. Fibre?

What I should have asked was "what speeds are you paying for?"

In other words, what does the ISP say you should receive?

What does it say on the bills?

Message 8 of 13
TnBigDog
Aspirant

I have Comcast cable internet. The bill says "superfast" internet. There is nothing on the bill about speeds, so I found a recent Comcast press release. It says it is 

• Blast/Superfast from 600 Mbps to 800 Mbps. 

What I gave you before was from an internet speed test. Don't understand the discrepancy. Maybe the router is too slow? Thanks!

Message 9 of 13

That is what I have been saying all along. Your router is seriously slower than your Internet connection. You are wasting money and crippling your network.
Message 10 of 13
TnBigDog
Aspirant

So what do you recommend? Thanks!

Message 11 of 13

@TnBigDog wrote:

So what do you recommend? Thanks!

Any router that meets your needs, fits in with your wifi coverage and doesn't break the bank.

Just about anything you buy will have Gigabit ethernet.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 12 of 13

If you want to make the most of your Wifi 6 laptop, you could look for a router that delivers WifI 6

That includes the RAX range.

Any router that does WifI 5 or 6 will be Gigabit.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7