• 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R6100 Disconnects from Internet

Hello...
I have been having an issue with my router (WiFi side mostly) losing the internet connection, not to be confused with the WiFi devices losing connection to the router - that's not an issue. Its from the router to the internet.
My ISP is Comcast (Xfinity) for business in Miami/Coral Gables.
My original router was a Netgear WNR1000 v2 - a bit older. So thinking that it was going bad, I purchased an R6100. Installed it and found that the issue continued. I called Netgear - the rep went through some steps and had me change some (probably meaningless) settings. no improvements.
Shortly after, I had Comcast come out to check everything. They ran new cable, replaced the modem with a brand new DPC3939B, checked everything and went on his way.
Issue continues.
Basically:
> The wireless devices connect to the router
> Internet connection is established
> Access to internet is good
> It lasts a while
> Starts to disconnect and reconnect at random throughout the day
> LAN stays connected, all computers continue to talk to each other, its only the router to the modem internet connection
> When this internet connection is is lost, the Netgear router does NOT show a lost connection in the panel indicator, it continues to show as if it is connected. yet the devices show 'No internet connection' - and needless to say, the devices cannot access the internet.
> A connection is re-established by itself, no action needed.
> The computers that are connected via Ethernet directly to the router also lose the connection, though it seems like its less frequent.
> This happens on 2.4 and 5ghz (which is probably irrelevant)
> The issues does not happen when using the built in wireless in the Comcast (Cisco) DPC3939B or connecting via Ethernet directly to the modem.

Any thoughts? What are the chances that Netgear has some compatibility issues with some Comcast (and other) modems?
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: R6100 Disconnects from Internet

I have the same problem, my Belkin router couldn't handle more than 6 wifi devices but the connection stayed on all the time.

With the R6100, I found out that if I'm able to get it to restart thing work well for a while. It seems to me it's a memory leak in the firmware.

Netgear will you addess this in a future firmware?
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

Did you get this resolved, I just connected my 6100 to a Cox cable modem and am having the same problem you described.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

sunnyorlando wrote:
Hello...
I have been having an issue with my router (WiFi side mostly) losing the internet connection, not to be confused with the WiFi devices losing connection to the router - that's not an issue. Its from the router to the internet.
My ISP is Comcast (Xfinity) for business in Miami/Coral Gables.
My original router was a Netgear WNR1000 v2 - a bit older. So thinking that it was going bad, I purchased an R6100. Installed it and found that the issue continued. I called Netgear - the rep went through some steps and had me change some (probably meaningless) settings. no improvements.
Shortly after, I had Comcast come out to check everything. They ran new cable, replaced the modem with a brand new DPC3939B, checked everything and went on his way.
Issue continues.
Basically:
> The wireless devices connect to the router
> Internet connection is established
> Access to internet is good
> It lasts a while
> Starts to disconnect and reconnect at random throughout the day
> LAN stays connected, all computers continue to talk to each other, its only the router to the modem internet connection
> When this internet connection is is lost, the Netgear router does NOT show a lost connection in the panel indicator, it continues to show as if it is connected. yet the devices show 'No internet connection' - and needless to say, the devices cannot access the internet.
> A connection is re-established by itself, no action needed.
> The computers that are connected via Ethernet directly to the router also lose the connection, though it seems like its less frequent.
> This happens on 2.4 and 5ghz (which is probably irrelevant)
> The issues does not happen when using the built in wireless in the Comcast (Cisco) DPC3939B or connecting via Ethernet directly to the modem.

Any thoughts? What are the chances that Netgear has some compatibility issues with some Comcast (and other) modems?

I did a big reply to this already. I had the same issues. The culprit was the cable modem. Check your cable modem's "Gateway - DHCP" settings. I'd suggest you try setting your private addresses to begin at 192.168.0.10, and the "Number of CPEs" to at least 15. That solved all my issues. I did factory reset the R6100 after that, and it went into its setup, and I let it install as an Access Point and it's rock solid now. Also, I'd suggest you connect your PC or laptop to the cable modem via Ethernet, and disable any wireless adapters in your main device. This worked beautifully for me, and stopped all my disconnect issues. I can still connect my laptop (My primary device) via WiFi with no issues if I like.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4