R6120

Badwhodo
Aspirant

R6120

R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router

Router Firmware Version
V1.0.0.58

Current OS is Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (build 17763.1039)

home enviornment

I run a home media server on the machine listed above.  whenever power fails or the rig has to reeboot I have to manually reconfigure the Port Forwarding settings. This can be a hassle because if it happens when i'm not home, others who use the server are s.o.l. until i return.

Is there a good way to configure a specific port to always be used?  I've looked into static but its just not practical.

Thanks. 

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
antinode
Guru

Re: R6120

> [...] whenever power fails or the rig has to reeboot I have to
> manually reconfigure the Port Forwarding settings. [...]

Why?  What, exactly, is wrong with the settings?

> Is there a good way to configure a specific port to always be used?

"port"?  "used" for what?  Do you mean the Server IP Address?

> I've looked into static but its just not practical.

What, exactly, did you find when you "looked into static", where,
exactly?  What, exactly, was "just not practical", why, exactly?

If your actual problem is that your server system gets a different IP
address occasionally, then there's an under-appreciated technique which
often leads to the solution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Manage Port
Forwarding to a Local Server for Services and Applications".  In
particular:

The server computer must always receive the same IP address. To
      specify this setting, use the reserved IP address feature. See
      Manage Reserved LAN IP Addresses on page 95.

Address reservation provides the stability of a static address while
retaining the convenience of DHCP.

Message 2 of 8
Badwhodo
Aspirant

I apologize. Truly I do. I'm not stupid just because you know more about tech than me. This isn't the tech I care about. Regardless...

This has not worked in the past. If I am doing something wrong, I don't know what it is.
I had to set my ISP router/wifi hub as a bridge in order to let the media server run. The server would not run because it saw itself being behind two Nats. Static IP hasn't worked possibly because the server still sees itself behind two Nats. I'm not sure. I also have a lot of in n out traffic connecting to the network. I could possible set a static for every person who walks through the door but it isn't realistic. Even the home users are portable sometimes and have to reconnect. My server is the constant. It's all I would think static could work on in my situation. If I'm wrong, fine. But don't be an **bleep**. People don't ask for help so you can get a power trip. So help me work through this and understand it. Or **bleep** off with the rude **bleep**.
Message 3 of 8
Badwhodo
Aspirant

Apparently you decided to **bleep** off. Not Shocked.   Get out of this work if you can't provide general, thoughtful answers. Its not for you.

Message 4 of 8

The answer you received was, indeed, a bit snotty, which is par for the course, but your subsequent responses don't get us much further.

You were actually asked some legitimate questions that might have helped a more accommodating fellow user to provide suggestions.

I have a feeling that you are wandering in alien (for you) territory or you would not have got into "double NAT" territory. Which brings me to this bit.

"Static IP hasn't worked possibly because the server still sees itself behind two Nats."

Unlikely if you set up the modem/router correctly.

As to "whenever power fails", this can result in a wonky boot process for the network. I have found that a modem/router in modem only mode can take too long to establish an Internet connection. As a result, the router times out and fails to connect. I solved this by buying a modem-only box.

I have no idea if this could have any link to your issues, I am just suggesting things to look for.

Without details of your home media server, any comments will inevitably be vague. For example, who knows what port rules you are implementing?

I don't run that sort of toy here, but I do know that life is a lot easier for attached devices, such as NAS boxes, if I give them a fixed IP address. Some people say that I am bonkers, but I also tell the router to reserve that IP address. Belt and braces maybe, but where's the harm. It works here.

@Badwhodo wrote:

Apparently you decided to **bleep** off. Not Shocked.   Get out of this work if you can't provide general, thoughtful answers. Its not for you.

We aren't all sitting here hanging on your every word. Some of us have a life, especially at the weekend.

Oh, and you should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

We don't work here.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] So help me work through this and understand it. Or **bleep** off
> with the rude **bleep**.

I can hardly wait to see if continued personal abuse will entice me
to invest more time and effort into trying to extract a useful problem
description in this case.  My first guess is that it won't.

> We aren't all sitting here hanging on your every word. Some of us have
> a life, especially at the weekend.

Again, with a fact-free narrative, it's tough to be sure, but my
guess would be that after I received the first childish, semi-literate,
vulgar, and insulting Private Message from this "person", and I selected
"Ignore", that might have made it difficult for her/him/it to send a
second one.

Message 6 of 8
Badwhodo
Aspirant

The media server hasn't been behind a double Nat for quite a while although it does require specific internal/external port ranges to be able to get through the Nat. I set the isp router in bridge mode to handle that. All IP addys are given out by my 6120.
I should have been clearer with the double Nat issue. I fixed it a long time ago by putting the isp router/modem in bridge.

My issue, which I obviously conveyed poorly, is that I would like my media server to have a set IP. And that's it. There's too many people in and out of here on phones, switches, et., al. to set up a static for everyone I know. It's a first world problem to have to type in a couple of numbers and switch an IP around. Ultimately I don't care, just thought it would be nice to not have to.

He did ask fair questions. He started with a rude response. He set the tone and I replied in kind. Even if people here don't get paid for this but have “ties to people at netgear“: it gives no right to be an **bleep**. If people want to be an **bleep**, they will be spoken to like an **bleep**.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 8

@Badwhodo wrote:

My issue, which I obviously conveyed poorly, is that I would like my media server to have a set IP. And that's it.

Just do it on the server and/or on the router. Fix it for the server and leave the rest to fight for themselves.

@Badwhodo wrote:

Even if people here don't get paid for this but have “ties to people at netgear“

Mostly no ties at all. I'm just a customer. (For all of the 21st century.) Some people just come here to bitch about Netgear and don't even use its hardware.

@Badwhodo wrote:

it gives no right to be an **bleep**. If people want to be an **bleep**, they will be spoken to like an **bleep**.

I can't disagree with that.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E