× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6200V2 Doesn't Seem to Bridge

KentB
Tutor

R6200V2 Doesn't Seem to Bridge

I just had Frontier service installed which requires the use of their FIOS wireless router. I have that downstairs and all my wireless devices/tv/ect connect just fine. I want to set my Netgear router up as a bridge so that I can use it for my non-wireless desktop and non-wireless HP printer upstairs (mostly want to use it in the role of a print server).

I followed the basic instructions on the forum for setting up the Netgear router as a bridge. Seems pretty straight forward, and after completing the steps the router reboots as stated but I do not see the router, printer, or computer on the wireless netwook. I've attempted to print thinking that perhaps after bridging to the Netgear router it may not be visible but printing does not work. Because I can't see the Netgear router after reboot, in order to log into the router I have to reset the router back to factory settings to log on - and then start over. Stuck in a loop with no success.

First, how would I know that the bridge was set up correctly - should I be able to see the bridge router, and/or second is there something more I need to do? Help and/suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Let's go through the steps.

1. You logged into the R6200 and went to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings and clicked on Enable Bridge mode?
  2. You clicked on the button setup bridge mode wireless settings?
  3. You proceeded to enter the Wi-Fi frequency, name, password, and security mode used by your FIOS router and clicked Apply?
  4. You clicked Apply again on the Advanced Wireless settings page?

At this point, log into your FIOS router and confirm that it can see the R6200. The R6200 should have obtained an IP address. You should be able to log into the R6200 using this IP address.

If necessary, reboot your desktop and printer upstairs to force them to DHCP for IP addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Let's go through the steps.

1. You logged into the R6200 and went to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings and clicked on Enable Bridge mode?
  2. You clicked on the button setup bridge mode wireless settings?
  3. You proceeded to enter the Wi-Fi frequency, name, password, and security mode used by your FIOS router and clicked Apply?
  4. You clicked Apply again on the Advanced Wireless settings page?

At this point, log into your FIOS router and confirm that it can see the R6200. The R6200 should have obtained an IP address. You should be able to log into the R6200 using this IP address.

If necessary, reboot your desktop and printer upstairs to force them to DHCP for IP addresses.

Message 2 of 4
KentB
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply TheEther - 

Since I posted, I updated the router to the latest Netgear firmware with no bridge success. Giving up on the Netgear firmware, I made a backup and then flashed the router with DD-WRT firmware. I tried doing the setup per the following instructions without any success:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode#External_Links

I'll revert the router back to the Netgear firmware, follow your steps and suggested checks, and see if I have any success (shouldn't be this hard really...). Will post results back. Thanks again!

Kent

Message 3 of 4
KentB
Tutor

Thank you soo much! I had trouble with these steps last night but then reset everything and tried again. This time, I started by changing the IP on the netgear router temporarily to 192.168.0.1 (it was later set to 192.168.1.6 by the FIOS router). I don't know if that helped but what happened last night was that I could no longer log into my FIOS router from AP - as both routers had the same IP -192.168.1.1 - attempts to log into my FIOS router was bringing up the Netgear interface from both sides of the bridge (which was telling me the wireless was working between them but something was still messed up). 

All seems to be working now. Thanks again TheEther!!!

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7