× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6220 - DLNA scanning on USB HDD kills router - only reset helps

Kempes7475
Tutor

R6220 - DLNA scanning on USB HDD kills router - only reset helps

Hi. Situation looks like this. Netgear R6220 newest firmware, HDD USB Toshiba 500GB connected via routers USB. DLNA server started on router. HDD and DLNA server are visible in local network. When I tried to access DLNA on router via Android Phone using for example VLC media player I see info "media parsing" and few moments later there is no internet access and I can not even get to router menu 192.168.1.1. I'm trying through PC connected via wire to router. I have to turn off and on router and then internet is back. On HDD USB (in DLNA library) is about 1500 music  files in about 100 folders.  I checked HDD no errors, bad blocks, etc. Any advice?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Advice? Don't use the dlna server on the router? 

Only reason I said this is dlna server support was pulled on the newer fancier devices that have more power. And the R6220 is a base model router with minimal cpu/ram/flash. And it could be your music setup (file structure, formating, etc) is putting to much of a burden on the cpu to manage whats going on. 

Message 2 of 8
Kempes7475
Tutor

Understood. It's clear. Whata a pity that it's not working. I counted on this function. I expected that router will be able to hold DLNA server (for TV, mobile phones) without turning on computer. But it can not handle even music files not mention about video files. Thanks for reply!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Music doesn't take much cpu but it could be how you have it setup.

What format is your usb drive in? 

Do you have all your music in a single folder or is it through several sub-folders (folder within a folder within a folder)?
What format is the music in? 

Message 4 of 8
Kempes7475
Tutor

HDD is NTFS. Folders structure looks like this: HDD Root ---> !!!DLNA ---> !!!MUSIC ---> (Artist Name) ---> (Album Name) ---> files. Music format 80% of M-P-3 files 20% of F-L-A-C  files. In (Album Name) folders are JPG's with covers and sometimes LRC files with lyrics.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Got a jump drive sitting around? 

Try tossing 10-15 of the mp3 files in a folder and connecting it to the router and see if it works. 

Or try the flac files. 

That could help to see if its how the folder structure is setup. 

Just try 1 or the other (mp3 vs flac) to see if its a formating of the music. 

Message 6 of 8
Kempes7475
Tutor

I'll do so. I'll try different folder structure and switch between M-P-3 and F-L-A-C. Do you think that NTFS is good file system or I should try something else?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

If its able to read the files, you should be fine. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7