× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6220 Internet LED not working

kchumps
Star

R6220 Internet LED not working

As of maybe two hours ago, I can no longer connect to my router. I still have a connection if I plug my pc into the modem, but that's a PITA. Any suggestions? Resetting does nothing. I tried that tip where you plug a cable into LAN 1 and WAN and the LED worked, if that helps
Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

What are all the lights on the router doing?

What modem are you using?

did it randomly stop or what were you doing when it disconnected?

Can you hardwire into the router to access the gui?
Have you tried a factory reset? Push and hold reset while its powered on for 7-15 seconds. The lights should change. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

did it randomly stop or what were you doing when it disconnected?

Have you tried a factory reset? Push and hold reset while its powered on for 7-15 seconds. The lights should change. 

Message 2 of 15
kchumps
Star

- Power light is solid green. Wi-Fi light is blinking, WPS light is on.

- Surfboard SB6141

Did it randomly stop or what were you doing when it disconnected?

- Randomly stopped at like 9:30 this morning, was on my PS4

- Can I do that if there's no signal?

- No, I'll try that now

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

@kchumps wrote:

- Power light is solid green. Wi-Fi light is blinking, WPS light is on.

- Surfboard SB6141

Did it randomly stop or what were you doing when it disconnected?

- Randomly stopped at like 9:30 this morning, was on my PS4

- Can I do that if there's no signal?

- No, I'll try that now

the lights are on  which is a good sign.

You don't need to access it via wifi. You can hardwire a device to the router. Its how I recommend everyone for whenever they're updating firmware to do it. 

wifi blinking usually means data is transmitting/receiving. Which is a good sign.

Did you try rebooting both the modem and router? 

Make sure to power up the modem first. give it a few minutes and then boot the router.

Many times if your wifi/ethernet are working but you're getting "no internet available" it can be a modem issue. go to 192.168.100.1.  This should be the ip address for the modem. You can log into it and see its modem connections page. Take a screen snip of that and post it back if the rebooting/resetting doesn't fix the issue. 

Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

btw, here's the support site for your device.
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220.aspx
Message 5 of 15
kchumps
Star

Oh, I misunderstood. I have to be plugged into the modem to have a connection, so I don't think I can plug into the router at the moment. Resetting them both didn't work earlier today, and that site says it's all fine. I've seen a couple of posts specifically about the R6200 not detecting the source, though none of the solutions made any sense. Let me know if that's the wrong tab to take a picture of, lol. It seems counterintuitive for the Wi-Fi light to be the one that's on, and not the internet

Message 6 of 15
kchumps
Star

Also I forgot to say, thanks for your help! I appreciate any and all time you're willing to give to this nuisance

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

@kchumps wrote:

Also I forgot to say, thanks for your help! I appreciate any and all time you're willing to give to this nuisance

No worries! Glad to help. 

On the modem, click on signal. take the screen snip of that. it shows the modem signal to the ISP. Does your internet work directly connected to the modem?

Are you connected directly to the modem or going through the router?

if your connecting through the router to the modem, its pulling a signal from the modem. Then its on the modem to provide the public ip to the router. 

Message 8 of 15
kchumps
Star

Yeah it only works through the modem, that's what I'm on now. The router is a hunk of junk at the moment. Oddly enough it shows up on my phone when searching for connections, but with no connection

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the R6220?

You can try re-installing the current firmware, factory resetting, and going through setup again. Occassionally firmware can get corrupted and a reset only removes the settings. Thats were reinstalling the firmware can help.

If that doesn't help, try downgrading the firmware a version and doing the factory reset/reinstall. 

You've got some line issues. It shouldn't stop the R6220 from connect to it. If its only been online for just over an hour (from prior snip), your getting quite a few errors. If you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in your coax line, try removing them. If possible, directly connect the modem to where the line enters your home. If thats not possible, inspect the coax line for kinks, bends, extended runs, wear, poor connections, etc. 

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

@kchumps wrote:

Yeah it only works through the modem, that's what I'm on now. The router is a hunk of junk at the moment. Oddly enough it shows up on my phone when searching for connections, but with no connection

BTW, the router will show up as from the sound of it the wifi is working. It just isn't getting signal from the modem. The goal is to figure out if its a modem issue or router issue causing the problem.

Also, check your ethernet cable between the modem/router. If you have a different cable, try replacing it. 

Message 11 of 15
kchumps
Star

Firmware: V1.1.0.34_1.0.1

I'll look into the line - we had issues when we first moved into this apartment finding a connection, so I wouldn't be shocked. 

Also, LOL. Resetting it and redoing the network worked. No idea why. It didn't have any new firmware upgrades. If anyone googles this, like I did, give some kudos to plemans and then reset your router. I forgot that you can connect to it without internet - would've saved me some time. You're the man. Now the question is, wtf was causing this???

Message 12 of 15
plemans
Guru

Not sure why the router isn't showing you the newer firmware. The .34 version is 9 versions behind. The newest firmware for the R6220 is 1.1.0.92

Potentially you're on to old of a firmware version. I'd try manually updating the firmware. Lots of bug and security fixes in that time. 

download the file and extract it.

1. Click ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update.
  2. Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
  3. Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Try doing this an updating the router. You might need to factory reset 1 more time after the update. Usually you don't need to but if there's enough changes in the firmware, it helps. 

Message 13 of 15
kchumps
Star

I'm surprised it works if it's that old. I'll definitely do that, but in the meantime I am connected again, thanks to you. Maybe this was one of the bugs?
Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

The release notes go over all the bugs and security fixes. I know one of the more recent had a bug fix for wan/lan throughput but they don't go into specifics usually. 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7