× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6220: WiFi and wired behave as two separate networks

Matosawitko
Aspirant

R6220: WiFi and wired behave as two separate networks

Between Google searches and other posts on this forum I've seen others express similar issues, but no resolution as far as I can tell. So I'll try to explain exactly what I'm seeing, in the hope that maybe we can get this resolved.

Background

I've had routers from pretty much every manufacturer. This is the first time I've ever encountered an issue like this. This router replaced a Linksys that crapped out after six months of normal family use. I've had it about a year, and have suffered with this issue in relative silence.

Router Firmware

As of this evening, the router is running firmware V1.1.0.80_1.0.1. I've checked for updates fairly regularly in the hopes that one of them would fix the issue I'm having, but no luck so far.

The Problem

I have a number of devices (printer, cell phones, desktops, laptops, etc.) that connect wirelessly. I have three devices (computer, Xbox, and Vonage phone) that are wired. I also have a USB thumb drive plugged into the router with a large library of movies and music, using the media sharing feature. The wired computer also has an even larger media library that wouldn't fit on the thumb drive.

None of the wireless devices can access either media library. They also cannot access the router admin page. They can, however, access other wireless devices. For example, the printer is also wireless and all of the other wireless devices I've tested so far are able to print. This includes several Windows laptops/tablet, a Linux (Ubuntu) laptop, a Windows desktop, a couple of Raspberry Pis, and a variety of cell phones. All wireless devices are able to access the Internet normally. Wireless devices are able to share files with one another. And they can ping one another successfully, but pinging one of the wired devices fails.

The wired devices (computer, XBox) are able to access the administration portal and shared media library on the router. The XBox can also access the media library on the wired computer. Because the printer is wireless, the wired computer cannot print. It also cannot access either Raspberry Pi via SSH or HTTP. Attempting to ping them also fails. (I can see their IP addresses in the network administration portal.)

If I plug in a device that is normally wireless, so it is wired, the wired devices can suddenly see and access one another.

What I have tried

Pretty much every option mentioned in any of the other posts about this issue:

• Set the 2G and 5G networks to have entirely different SSID and key phrases.
  • Turn 5G off entirely. (and back on again)
  • Turn on access control. Turn off access control.
  • Randomly poking things with a stick.

As stated above, this is the first router that I've ever had an issue like this.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Matosawitko
Aspirant

So I think the issue is finally resolved. I downloaded the latest firmware from the router's support page and reinstalled it. After the factory reset post-install, suddenly everything started communicating correctly.

Not sure why my previous resets didn't work, but at least my router actually routes now.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies

@Matosawitko wrote:

Between Google searches and other posts on this forum I've seen others express similar issues, but no resolution as far as I can tell.

A link to those earlier messages might help.

What else is on your network? In particular, what's the modem in front of the R6220?

Message 2 of 8
Matosawitko
Aspirant

Although the modem is entirely irrelevant since it's not even considered to be part of the same network (it's upstream from the router), it's an Alcatel-Lucent G-240G-A ONT (fiber).

I've listed the other devices in pretty high detail already.

As far as other discussions:

"Can't see devices on the wired network from the wireless device" (a number of responses, none of which solved the issue and degraded into semantic arguments)

"Can't ping wireless devices from lan" (different Netgear router, lots of really questionable advice)

"Wireless devices can not connet to wired devices" (suggests that previous versions had a 'wireless isolation' checkbox that is no longer present in newer devices or firmware, but the behavior sounds like this box is checked)

Message 3 of 8

@Matosawitko wrote:

Although the modem is entirely irrelevant since it's not even considered to be part of the same network (it's upstream from the router), it's an Alcatel-Lucent G-240G-A ONT (fiber).

Hopelessly wrong.  Modem and router are invariably a part of the same network. The router does what it says, it routes the stuff that connects to the internet through the modem. That's why this is one of the first questions when someone turns up with a question about their router.

Maybe you have something magic. In which case, I leave you to the tender mercies of people who understand this stuff.

Message 4 of 8
antinode
Guru

> Hopelessly wrong. [...]

Someone seems to be.  Traffic between wired and wireless clients on
one router is all-LAN, and should not involve the modem.

Is a formal support request to Netgear still practical?

Message 5 of 8
Matosawitko
Aspirant

So I think the issue is finally resolved. I downloaded the latest firmware from the router's support page and reinstalled it. After the factory reset post-install, suddenly everything started communicating correctly.

Not sure why my previous resets didn't work, but at least my router actually routes now.

Message 6 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] I downloaded the latest firmware from the router's support page
> and reinstalled it. [...]

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "the latest" today.

Message 7 of 8
Matosawitko
Aspirant

Fair enough. As stated in the OP, I was previously running 1.1.0.80_1.0.1, which is also the version that I downloaded and reinstalled.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7