× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 crashes when attached to AT&T MicroCell

MemmysMamaw
Aspirant

R6220 crashes when attached to AT&T MicroCell

My ISP is a small local company whose incoming cable does not require a modem. Therefore, my cable plugs directly into my R6220 router. For several years prior to purchasing the R6220, I had a Netgear extender for my previous Netgear router and I had a MicroCell attached to the extender by Ethernet cable. A few months ago, my router went out and I purchased the R6220. My MicroCell has not worked since I got it. Whenever I attach the MicroCell, the router disconnects from the internet and has to be unplugged and then plugged back in. It will only work for about an hour before it disconnects. I then hooked the extender back up and attached the MicroCell to it. The router no longer crashes, but the MicroCell still won't work. I have a list of settings required for the MicroCell but am unable to find where to change them. Either that or I don't know what I'm looking at. There are 2 that I found - (1) DHCP is on and (2) MTU size is set to 1492. I can change these. The others are the ones I can't find and would appreciate any assistance. I have hit and miss cell service without the MicroCell. The other settings are: (3) Data not restricted from passing thru ports 4500 and 500 (4) MAC address filtering is either off or allowing the MAC address of the MicroCell (5) IPSec Pass-Thru is enabled (6) Block Fragmented Packets is disabled (7) TCP/UDP Ports.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
MemmysMamaw
Aspirant

Re: R6220 crashes when attached to AT&T MicroCell

Thank you, Dexter. Appreciate all the information. Finally broke down and called Netgear, willing to pay for support call. Got settings changed, but it didn't fix my problem. Oh well. Guess I'll have to get a different brand of router or change wireless carriers. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @MemmysMamaw,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Please make sure that the extender is configured correctly that it is connected to the router.

3. Please make sure that there are other devices that are able to go online when connected to the extender.

4. You can check port forwarding for the ports that need to be opened. The link below may help out.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046

5. Make sure Access Control is not enabled. Go to Advanced > Security > Access Control.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
MemmysMamaw
Aspirant

Dexter,

Thank you SO much for responding to my issue. Sure thought you'd solved my problem when I discovered that my extender was, in fact, not configured for my router! However, after fixing that I still don't have the MicroCell working. So, to answer your questions:

1. My router firmware version is V1.1.0.34_1.0.1. 

2. My extender is NOW connected to the router (how embarrassing).

3. My laptop went online (and showed up as a wired device on the router) when I wired it to the extender. It's the only device I have with an Ethernet port to test. 

4. The port forwarding, port configuration for the TCP and UDP ports, port blocking, fragmented packets, NAT filtering, MAC addresses, etc. are totally foreign to me and I appreciate the link you sent, but I get an error every time I try to access it. I'd actually seen the link in another chat and tried to access it from there but got the same error. 

5. Access control is not enabled. 

Again, thank you for your assistance. 

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @MemmysMamaw,

You can check the links below instead.

https://kb.netgear.com/24289/

https://kb.netgear.com/23020/

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
MemmysMamaw
Aspirant

Thank you, Dexter. Appreciate all the information. Finally broke down and called Netgear, willing to pay for support call. Got settings changed, but it didn't fix my problem. Oh well. Guess I'll have to get a different brand of router or change wireless carriers. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7