× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 slow download speed when enable "Access Point mode"

Caprican
Aspirant

R6220 slow download speed when enable "Access Point mode"

Hi,

The wireless download speed seems to be limited to 100 Mbps when changing from Router Mode to AP mode.

With router mode, download speed is about 250 Mbps, but it will become 100 Mbps when change to AP mode.

I know there is another thread describes similar issue and the "possible" solution is using LAN port instead of WAN port.

However, I need the ISP cable to be connected on WAN port to let my IPTV works.

Does anyone know how can I solve this isse ? Except using LAN port...😥

P.S. I haven't enable any QoS feature or do any kind of rate limiting and any suggesion would be great.

FW Version: V2.18.0.2231

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R6220 slow download speed when enable "Access Point mode"

If you check, what is the port statistics showing for the connection? 

How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Could be the primary router auto-setting it down to 100mbps. You could try a different cat 6 cable (high quality) if its showing at 10/100mbps. 

Message 2 of 4
Caprican
Aspirant

Hi plemans:

Thanks for your reply 😊

I think I find the root cause. It seems the WAN port speed is down to 100 Mbps, when I enabled IPTV on LAN1 and link status in 100 Mbps on LAN 1.

After chaning to AP mode, I can't see the port statistics on WAN port but only find the counters and link speed on LAN ports.

(But I'm pretty sure the link speed of WAN port is 1 Gbps when using router mode.)

ps.PNG

As you can see there is a device connecting on LAN1, with link speed 100 Mbps.

And the download speed is increased from 100 to 250 Mbps once I remove the cable from LAN1 or disable IPTV feature on LAN1.

I'm not sure if this is a expected behavior but looks weird to me.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a different cable? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements